• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BIG GROUP

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts please?

If an APN is paid, *no* fighting group is joined, then in 5 or so (!) years you get notice that you have a date for a JR/FTT (sorry not sure which it would be) to plead your case but you are unable to attend (eg, you live abroad) - does HMRC automatically win and then you get another APN for the interest, etc?

Would they bother taking individuals (ASIoM scheme) to JR/FTT or lump them in with others / try to apply successful cases against similar schemes to the individual?

All the above assumes the individual owes between £3k and £8k total.

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MrsB1974 View Post
      Thoughts please?

If an APN is paid, *no* fighting group is joined, then in 5 or so (!) years you get notice that you have a date for a JR/FTT (sorry not sure which it would be) to plead your case but you are unable to attend (eg, you live abroad) - does HMRC automatically win and then you get another APN for the interest, etc?

Would they bother taking individuals (ASIoM scheme) to JR/FTT or lump them in with others / try to apply successful cases against similar schemes to the individual?

All the above assumes the individual owes between £3k and £8k total.

Many thanks
      Not quite.

You pay the APN. And then you wait and wait and wait.

IF (big if) HMRC take a case to Court and a final decision is made AND that case is close enough to your scheme then HMRC will contact you and say:

"Mr/Mrs Justice xxxx, said that your liability is 0%/50%/100%/200% of what we asked for via the APN so here is a cheque/please pay the balance"

You are unlikely to be asked to go to Court as that role will have been taken by a willing volunteer 5 or so years earlier.

If you have not negotiated an earlier deal or perhaps taken a new settlement offer that HMRC may issue between now and then (they say no more universal settlements, but they've said that before), then you have the judge's decision applied.

Be careful with that. The Judge may be very precise in saying how and what should be taxed. He/she may be vague, leaving HMRC to put the worst possible spin on it. In the latter case, a further round of discussion is required.

(As an example, look at the Eclipse case. Three strikes down and still HMRC don't have a solid interpretation. In March 2014 I was told that an analysis they shared was 100% solid and had the buy in of HMRC Board. 18 months later, I know that at least 3 of those elements have been changed and there is still no agreement).

What HMRC want is one case that has universal application. given the differences in schemes I think this is big ask. Whilst it is possible to group certain schemes together, a decision on one is unlikely to be EXACTLY a fit for another.

therefore they will try to get a "general principles" victory as well as detailed analysis. If they do and the decision can have wide application, then Follower Notices are likely. These will require you to change your tax return to match the decision. Again, exactly what the decision means is subjective.

The amount of tax at stake individually is not part of the algorithm of whether it will be chased. If it's more than about £100, it will be chased.

Timing? Perhaps 18 months to FTT for the first generic case (although I hear that HMRC is having some issues internally with that) and say 24 months to decision. Appeal (3 more levels if the funding holds out) might be 4/5 years. So between 5 to 7 years.

If another generic case is taken, then the same sort of timescale but obviously if it starts later, it finishes later.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Good grief!

Thank you webberg for such a comprehensive (though depressing) answer.

* sigh *

Comment

Originally posted by MrsB1974 View Post
          Good grief!

Thank you webberg for such a comprehensive (though depressing) answer.

* sigh *
          Why would you wait 5-7 years for a decision on such a small amount?

Comment

Joined in

Hello

Shame, I came across this group so late..

I have just submitted my application to join Big group, paid for the initial membership fee and setup Paypal for monthly payments.
            Please advise whats next..
            Regards

Comment

Originally posted by junio View Post
              Hello
              Shame, I came across this group so late..
              I have just submitted my application to join Big group, paid for the initial membership fee and setup Paypal for monthly payments.
              Please advise whats next..
              Regards
              Better late than never! Actually, it's a perfect time to join, so don't worry.
              BG staff will review your documents and once they're satisfied it's all good, you will receive your access codes for the private forum.
              See you there.
              Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by bluemonkey71 View Post
                Maybe because 1/ "small" is relative and 2/ you refuse being extorted?
                Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by bluemonkey71 View Post
                  Hi bluemonkey, do you mean as opposed to settling?
                  Last edited by MrsB1974; 8 October 2015, 11:15.

Comment

Moving out of country?

What if someone decides to leave the country and not pay the APN? Go and live in some asian country?

Comment

BIG GROUP

If I am doing contracting in Europe and take payments in to UAE based offshore company, can HMRC attack me?

I am thinking of alternative, these <mod snip> are trying to suck blood, so why should I bring money for the work done outside of UK in to UK and pay these <mod snip> any tax.

If they can twist arm and demand APNs, then I can manage the future taxes -no?

Any tax advise?
                      Last edited by cojak; 8 October 2015, 16:00. Reason: No swearing please.

Comment

Working...
                      X