• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BIG GROUP

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by me206et View Post
    Settlement is final.
    No refunds whatever.
    On a previous content.
    Yes the providers, if still around, must inform HMRC.
    Burying your head in the sand is not an option.
    In my case although leaving in 2004 I still have dealings with HMRC.
    One of my trusts is still active, even tried getting a large wedge of cash to supposedly circumvent the LC.
    So it will be reported and I am in Europe.

By now with people settling I would think HMRC are aware of most if not all scheme providers.
    They also, from tax return data, know who worked for what scheme when.
    So does anyone think there is a realistic chance of hiding, unless you have no ties with the UK at all?
    Don’t believe the hype.. I know someone who registered for CLSO and HMRC came back with “would you mind telling us what schemes you were involved with?”
    So despite all the rumour.. it appears they don’t know everything

Comment

Originally posted by Finalwhistle View Post
      Don’t believe the hype.. I know someone who registered for CLSO and HMRC came back with “would you mind telling us what schemes you were involved with?”
      If you go for HMRC settlement, it's a process designed to allow both parties, you and HMRC, to reach an agreement based on full disclosure.

You are expected to approach the process with "clean hands", i.e. not withholding information that is pertinent to the agreement you wish to conclude. Equally HMRC is expected to be clear as to their position and what the agreement finalises in terms of liability.

It is therefore wholly within the "rules" of the process for HMRC to ask you to disclose the schemes/loans/years etc that you want to be included.

Failure to disclose risks the agreement subsequently being invalidated. If that happens (rare I admit), expect heavy penalties.

Whilst I have my doubts about whether HMRC uphold their end of the bargain in terms of finality etc, this does not excuse non disclosure.

Be clear. If you choose to withhold information properly requested for the purpose of the contract, you are running a significant risk.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Maybe they don't yet. When is the deadline for promoters to report?

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
          If you go for HMRC settlement, it's a process designed to allow both parties, you and HMRC, to reach an agreement based on full disclosure.

You are expected to approach the process with "clean hands", i.e. not withholding information that is pertinent to the agreement you wish to conclude. Equally HMRC is expected to be clear as to their position and what the agreement finalises in terms of liability.

It is therefore wholly within the "rules" of the process for HMRC to ask you to disclose the schemes/loans/years etc that you want to be included.

Failure to disclose risks the agreement subsequently being invalidated. If that happens (rare I admit), expect heavy penalties.

Whilst I have my doubts about whether HMRC uphold their end of the bargain in terms of finality etc, this does not excuse non disclosure.

Be clear. If you choose to withhold information properly requested for the purpose of the contract, you are running a significant risk.
          More terrifying scare mongering from the WTT crew. You missed the point but whatever...
          Yes there are risks, but to advise that Hector “know everything” as the WTT consistently preach is simply unfounded; and there is evidence to suggest otherwise. As the person below me has commented this maybe time limited IF the promoter is till up and running and is forced (or maybe just asked) to hand over details of its clients. But again, if the promoter is long gone then the risks start to lean towards the client, particularly for legacy arrangements which to this day remain closed.

Comment

More terrifying scare mongering from the WTT crew. You missed the point but whatever...
            Yes there are risks, but to advise that Hector “know everything” as the WTT consistently preach is simply unfounded; and there is evidence to suggest otherwise. As the person below me has commented this maybe time limited IF the promoter is till up and running and is forced (or maybe just asked) to hand over details of its clients. But again, if the promoter is long gone then the risks start to lean towards the client, particularly for legacy arrangements which to this day remain closed.
            I'm not here to defend WTT's business but are you seriously suggesting that a tax adviser should say "don't disclose, tax evasion is ok as you probably won't get caught"?

Comment

I'll not apologise for stating a truth.

If the employer/lender does not disclose, then the borrower is LEGALLY OBLIGED to do so.

If you choose to breach that obligation, expect no sympathy from HMRC if they discover the position.

You might then need an adviser and I guarantee that all of them will do their best to extract you from whatever pit you have fallen into, accidentally or otherwise.

In the meantime, I have given you good advice. I cannot make you heed it.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Settlement registration

HMRC have sent a settlement pack by email and asked me to return it by 31 May 2018 to register my interest for settlement. My questions are (a) Without any reference number how can I ensure that I have been registered for settlement? (b) Do we need to send the settlement pack by 31 May or 30 Sep 2018? The pack contains loan information, type of scheme and UTR number etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GUD View Post
                  HMRC have sent a settlement pack by email and asked me to return it by 31 May 2018 to register my interest for settlement. My questions are (a) Without any reference number how can I ensure that I have been registered for settlement? (b) Do we need to send the settlement pack by 31 May or 30 Sep 2018? The pack contains loan information, type of scheme and UTR number etc.
                  This is the wrong thread for this query.

However, if HMRC has asked you to do something then it's usually best to do that.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Im also in!

Comment

Originally posted by GUD View Post
                      How long did you have to wait for the pack?

I've emailed them 3 weeks ago and not had anything back aside from the automated response.

Comment

Working...
                      X