• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Received a call from HMRC about APN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Received a call from HMRC about APN

They just phoned me up to confirm if I had received the APN they had sent and if I had any questions. I said I had received it and I had no questions. The response I got back was "ok that's fine as it's just a courtesy call. You have our number if you need to contact us." Anyone else had one of these?

Originally posted by ads1980 View Post
    They just phoned me up to confirm if I had received the APN they had sent and if I had any questions. I said I had received it and I had no questions. The response I got back was "ok that's fine as it's just a courtesy call. You have our number if you need to contact us." Anyone else had one of these?
    I would have said I didn t receive it

Comment

Originally posted by lilikins1 View Post
      I would have said I didn t receive it
      I did think that afterwards but I was just in a bluster. They caught me off guard. I could have also asked if they could tell me the time of the next train to leave kings cross. They must have too much time on their hands at the moment!

Comment

I did think that afterwards but I was just in a bluster. They caught me off guard. I could have also asked if they could tell me the time of the next train to leave kings cross. They must have too much time on their hands at the moment!
        Well I have just received 2 APN s at the same time on my doormat one dated 1st of April and one 24th April

Comment

My ex scheme provider has advised that if you receive a call from HMRC about receiving your APN, you should ask them if they have any questions for you and if they have, put them in writing and post them out.

Comment

It seems people who receive phone calls "owe" large amounts.

HMRC wants to ensure the low hanging fruit/cash cows have been bullied in writing and hopefully scared by the phone call into paying up.

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post

HMRC wants to ensure the low hanging fruit/cash cows have been bullied in writing and hopefully scared by the phone call into paying up.
              I don't agree with this. I don't owe a particularly large amount. I'm well under 20k according to HMRC. In my eyes, I owe them nothing.

Comment

I don't agree with this. I don't owe a particularly large amount. I'm well under 20k according to HMRC. In my eyes, I owe them nothing.
                That would still be considered a large amount. The few really big APNs were sent out last year, now it's all about the small-time tax optimizers.
                Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post

Nope, I got my first APN for just under £6.5k and got home tonight to find a voicemail message from HMRC asking me to call them about it. I wouldn't say £6.5k was a lot. Well, it is to me when I don't believe I owe it, but you know what I mean!

Comment

Working...
                  X