• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Government to Block expenses claims for controlled contractors.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Government to Block expenses claims for controlled contractors.

Why do clients and agencies still ignore this Budget 2015 vows to block expenses for 'controlled' contractors :: Contractor UK and what do they mean when saying 'controlled'?
    After all we are all assigned a task to complete so this must be a form of control.

What are you on about?

What the government is doing is stopping those who should be employed e.g. teachers, factory workers, cleaners claiming expenses.

Some "umbrella" companies have been shown by the media to be exploiting these types of workers by forcing them to be self-employed so they don't get the minimum wage. These types of workers should be on PAYE and should be traditional temps not self-employed.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I think I know what you mean but what separates us from them? it is still a very grey area if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        What are you on about?

What the government is doing is stopping those who should be employed e.g. teachers, factory workers, cleaners claiming expenses.

Some "umbrella" companies have been shown by the media to be exploiting these types of workers by forcing them to be self-employed so they don't get the minimum wage. These types of workers should be on PAYE and should be traditional temps not self-employed.
        I think I know what you mean but what separates us from them? it is still a very grey area if you ask me.

Comment

I've been out of the loop for a while, am I reading this correctly?

Please tell me I'm wrong but the way I've just read that is that if I take a contract away from home I would no longer be able to claim (receipted) travel expenses or hotels during the week if I'm inside IR35? I'm not talking about the made up expense "arrangements" that were bandied around when umbrellas started (it's been quite a while since I've been in the contract market), but actual real expenses that I have incurred.

Funny how I shied away from expense arrangement umbrellas because I didn't fancy the idea of claiming for something that wasn't real... So chose a "scheme" instead

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            Funny how I shied away from expense arrangement umbrellas because I didn't fancy the idea of claiming for something that wasn't real... So chose a "scheme" instead
            Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
            Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              Please tell me I'm wrong but the way I've just read that is that if I take a contract away from home I would no longer be able to claim (receipted) travel expenses or hotels during the week if I'm inside IR35? I'm not talking about the made up expense "arrangements" that were bandied around when umbrellas started (it's been quite a while since I've been in the contract market), but actual real expenses that I have incurred.

Exactly why many chose to make the leap of faith and joined EBT schemes years ago, the government brought about IR35 and dirty the water with repeated legislation that makes people feel what is the point of working when they want the majority of my income in tax!!

But at least we can all sleep well knowing how all our taxes are funding the numerous who don't pay a bean into the pot!!
              http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Yes it will have a massive impact on the economy if you ask me, I and pretty much everyone else would not find it feasible to travel**this would stop companies from having access to an already short skills market, as for the money we might save from a small proportion of tax relief, that would make up for holiday entitlement and maybe a pension and if the costs are not found from elsewhere then the whole appeal to contract would be pointless.

Comment

Working...
                X