• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiry letter for Winchester IQ Contract under section 9a

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Barrygbr View Post
    I was with IQ for just short of four years, same scenario.

I will write to my MP as it is worth a try. Anybody else out there please do the same on the off chance that it may be helpful.
    If this were 2010 I'd agree with your suggestion.

Unfortunately HMRC has already poisoned the MPs against you, branding you a tax avoider, and no MP is going to risk his/her reputation or votes in trying to defend you.

This game is not over but the beginning is over and we are about to enter the mid game and as such I'm afraid you've got some catching up to do. Spend a couple of hours reading the forums and then go and get some advice.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Update on IQ Contractors website (is this valid?)

Saw this update on IQ Contractors' website. There is no link to an independent report.

Ww w.iqcontracts.com/news/contractor-tax/hmrc-to-repay-thousands-to-it-contractors

Does anyone know about it?

Comment

Hi all... quick question, in 2012 for a fleeting moment (about 3 months) I was a member of the IQ Contracts scheme, I think set up via Winchester Contracts.

I've received an APN for far more than I actually earned during those few weeks, which I have of course appealed.

I sent them a set of figures from my statements showing what I earned, but they've reponded requesting the actual bank statements.

As I'm a private individual without any company connections and this isn't a business, do I have to send 3 months of statements with all the private transactions involved.

I'm very reluctant to send those statements, for purely personal reasons.

This is the text from the letter:

"You have submitted figures which are from IQ Contracts, could you please furnish me with the bank statements from which these figures have been obtained from. Once I am in receipt of these then I can revise the calculations."

My understanding is that as private individual these aren't statutory records and unless there are exceptional circumstances they don't ask.

Any thoughts.

In case this goes very wrong, can anyone recommend some kind of accountant who's happy to work in this area?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackPrince View Post
          Saw this update on IQ Contractors' website. There is no link to an independent report.

Ww w.iqcontracts.com/news/contractor-tax/hmrc-to-repay-thousands-to-it-contractors

Does anyone know about it?
          That story related to the Montpelier scheme between 2002 and 2008 where APNs were issued and then withdrawn because the scheme was not notifiable.

Long since overtaken by events.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by BigGeorge View Post
            Hi all... quick question, in 2012 for a fleeting moment (about 3 months) I was a member of the IQ Contracts scheme, I think set up via Winchester Contracts.

I've received an APN for far more than I actually earned during those few weeks, which I have of course appealed.

I sent them a set of figures from my statements showing what I earned, but they've reponded requesting the actual bank statements.

As I'm a private individual without any company connections and this isn't a business, do I have to send 3 months of statements with all the private transactions involved.

I'm very reluctant to send those statements, for purely personal reasons.

This is the text from the letter:

"You have submitted figures which are from IQ Contracts, could you please furnish me with the bank statements from which these figures have been obtained from. Once I am in receipt of these then I can revise the calculations."

My understanding is that as private individual these aren't statutory records and unless there are exceptional circumstances they don't ask.

Any thoughts.

In case this goes very wrong, can anyone recommend some kind of accountant who's happy to work in this area?
            Refer HMRC to the Taxpayers Charter which says that you are entitled to be believed by HMRC.

Tell them that asking for bank statements is an unwarranted fishing expedition.

Plenty of tax advisers who operate in this space. 10 minutes on Google looking for contractor tax/APN/Discovery assessment should throw up a list of names.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Reacted?

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              Refer HMRC to the Taxpayers Charter which says that you are entitled to be believed by HMRC.

Tell them that asking for bank statements is an unwarranted fishing expedition.

Plenty of tax advisers who operate in this space. 10 minutes on Google looking for contractor tax/APN/Discovery assessment should throw up a list of names.
              Thanks, i was thinking of offering them a redacted set of bank statements - ie with every single line item blacked out except the ones with IQ contracts listed.

The reality is what I've said is 100% correct.... i only worked under these systems for a few months. They've actually "estimated" my assessment as far more than i ever earned, which tells me they don't have a clue. They are indeed fishing.

So my name has come up on a list of IQ contractors passed to the Revenue and they've gone after it, why can't they check the IQ paperwork and find the actual amount? Are they too lazy, or don't they have access to the dates\payments info etc??

Comment

I guess if IQ are/were off shore then it is beyond HMRC ability to get the information even if it is available, which, I doubt. The people behind IQ are likely in Panama or Belize or someplace nice and sunny where no questions are asked.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

HMRC letter to file the tax returns for 2014 to 2016 - IQ COntracts

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  I guess if IQ are/were off shore then it is beyond HMRC ability to get the information even if it is available, which, I doubt. The people behind IQ are likely in Panama or Belize or someplace nice and sunny where no questions are asked.
                  Hi,
                  In Feb17, I received late tax returns letters from HMRC for the period 2013-142014-15 , 2015-16 I was with IQ Contracts during that period. And I have penalty letters as well around Mar17 time. But after that I didnt receive any reminders on this. Do you think I should check with HMRC on these letters or can I ignore these until i get further letter/notice from HMMC.
                  Please advice. I'm new to this forum.

Thanks.

Comment

I was with IQ Contracts for one year and and have now received the SA compliance document for the same year (straddling two FY years). Although the document does not refer to IQ by name which, from reading other posts, is unusual.

Definitely looking into joining Big Group. Did you allow Big Group to correspond with HMRC or did you leave that for your accountant? From the previous posters, what was the outcome/is the process still ongoing? PM me if you can. I could do with some info to prepare me for what's incoming from HMRC.Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Move D View Post
                      I was with IQ Contracts for one year and and have now received the SA compliance document for the same year (straddling two FY years). Although the document does not refer to IQ by name which, from reading other posts, is unusual.

Definitely looking into joining Big Group. Did you allow Big Group to correspond with HMRC or did you leave that for your accountant? From the previous posters, what was the outcome/is the process still ongoing? PM me if you can. I could do with some info to prepare me for what's incoming from HMRC.Thanks.
                      The process is very much ongoing. I reckon give it 10 years. Until the end. Of the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                      X