• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payments on account, APN's, Certificates of Tax Deposit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payments on account, APN's, Certificates of Tax Deposit

A while ago, a question arose on the forum about what happens if you hold a CTD which is about to expire.

The point of a CTD is that interest on tax paid by redemption of the CTD is calculated to the date of acquisition of the CTD. The CTD however has an expiry date of 5 years from acquisition. Redeeming it at that point and buying a new one will lose the original interest stop date.

I now have in writing from HMRC that if a CTD is lodged in an HMRC account (called a SAFE account), it will be treated as a payment on account on the date the CTD was acquired. The interest protection is retained. The downside is that until your tax position is settled you are not able to withdraw any of the SAFE account value.

A payment made on an APN will be a payment on account and interest on the amount of the APN is calculated only to the date the APN is paid.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Do CTDs expire. I didn't think they had any expiry.

There is a point at which you no longer earn any more interest from the CTD (not that you earn much anyway these days), but I thought the CTD could be retained indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
      Do CTDs expire. I didn't think they had any expiry.

There is a point at which you no longer earn any more interest from the CTD (not that you earn much anyway these days), but I thought the CTD could be retained indefinitely.
      They have a 5 year life. It is not possible to "roll over" a CTD which means that the interest protection may be lost if the CTD expires.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Do you have a reference for that - not saying you are wrong, but there is absolutely no hint of that in either of these official resources. In fact they seem to infer the opposite.

Payment methods: payment by certificates of tax deposit

https://www.gov.uk/certificate-of-tax-deposit-scheme

You can leave your deposits beyond 6 years but no interest will be paid after that.

Comment

Everything I've read over the years say CTDs offer indefinite protection from interest charges for as long as you hold them. In other words, they have the same effect as paying on account.

The 6-year limit is only for interest paid out if you cash them in rather than using them to pay a tax bill.

Comment

CTDs interest

You only receive interest on a CTD if you take one out over £100k anything less you don't gain interest how ever you do offset the interest on your bill 😀

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            Everything I've read over the years say CTDs offer indefinite protection from interest charges for as long as you hold them. In other words, they have the same effect as paying on account.

The 6-year limit is only for interest paid out if you cash them in rather than using them to pay a tax bill.

Comment

Working...
            X