• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lambard Wealth (and other new schemes) - Any opinions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the contractors I've ever worked with had the hallmarks of disguised employees. I don't mean what was written in their contracts (right of substitution etc), I mean what they were actually doing on a day to day basis for the client.

There was always some element of Supervision, Direction or Control. And when has a right of substitution ever been exercised? Smoke and mirrors is what that is.

That's not to say that there aren't some out there who are genuinely in business on their own account. It's just I've never come across one.

The only reason most people get away with it is because IR35 is unenforceable. But that does not mean the authorities regard it as acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      ... was your opening gambit in this thread so it's no wonder that there are those who would have a go at you. You, as one would say on the playground, started it this time.

Your answer to the ISAs post was absolutely legitimate and spot on (not that you need any validation from me of course!) but you spoiled and personalised it with that last sentence about deserving what you get which is why I could only draw the conclusion I did.
      It's no excuse of course, but look at the time stamp for that post...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        you have both my sympathy and support in your various fights
        You have a perverse way of expressing your 'sympathy and support'.

Comment

I am and have been for 20 years, selling my extensive expertise in a fairly wide area of IT services. I have multiple clients and pick and choose when and where I work, I control my P&L, I make a consistent profit and pay all the taxes I am liable for. So in what universe does that make me not operating a business?

EBT schemes were never intended for protecting salaries, only pension payrolls. When bankers started using them for stop paying UK taxes, HMRC got interested and the fun started.

As for IR35 protection, don't make me laugh. The rules for IR35 are well understood and manageable. Thinking there was some magic scheme when someone gets paid 15% of your gross and give you 85% back an dno taxes due was never even vaguely realistic, and only a fool would have thought it was.

They were anything but well understood in 2001 when I and a lot of contractors joined a scheme. But now, I agree, IR35 is better (though not wholly) understood and joining a scheme now is sheer folly.

Comment

I am and have been for 20 years, selling my extensive expertise in a fairly wide area of IT services. I have multiple clients and pick and choose when and where I work, I control my P&L, I make a consistent profit and pay all the taxes I am liable for. So in what universe does that make me not operating a business?
            I suspect you are the exception that proves the rule. You won't find many IT contractors operating like you at most client sites. I've certainly never met one.

Comment

I have just been called by "Ricky" from Lambard. After a few minutes of listening to his dribble, he was sent off to do the Lambada. I don't trust their Trust.

Allegedly they have won 2 cases against HMRC and all that Jazz...
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Tempted? - Go here, read this and then DON'T JOIN

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...following.html
                Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Just had "Ricky" on the phone again. He really needs to remember how to Lambada, since the last lesson was forgotten. Reminder lesson given.

Same Bulltulip about having won 2 cases, 8 years ago.
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                  X