• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Settlement or other options - Darwinpay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember Saleos reaching out to dandy and MJP to work together and join forces. Don't think it happened though.
    I am still in touch with my MP but may contractors are just not interested in doing any thing.

Together if could stand HMRC will not have a chance in hell. Problem is trusting each other and taking time out to work on it together.

Comment

Originally posted by junio View Post
      Now the question - with EBT people have actually earned money - this is baseless and cannot be proven. Would HMRC say if anyone takes a loan and pays off tax on it to HMRC, then the loan becomes his earnings ( i.e., he does not have to repay to the lender).
      So if HMRC win - and "prove" the loan was really earnings, does that automatically cancel the loan ??

No-one really knows - the scenario has never been tested AFAIK.

Pure gut feeling, probably not - the loan could still be called in. They could argue your tax bill from HMRC was on your gross earnings, which you promptly gifted away instantly - and then just happened to take out a loan for a very similar amount, which is what they want to call in.

I'd say it's highly unlikely - and there are probably other tricks to legally avoid paying it, but I don't think there is anything automatic in law which would cancel the loan in the event of losing to HMRC.
      Last edited by centurian; 20 November 2014, 18:59.

Comment

Working...
      X