• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Walking as exercise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered the fitbit flex and using myfitnesspal as my tracking app. The fitbit can sync with MFP which has every food in its database imaginable. Plan to do 10k steps and limit calories to net 1300.

Comment

Buying a gadget with all the bells and whistles just makes it more attractive to wondering hands.

I actually lost my first fitbit. I got in contact with fitbit who insisted I spend a week looking for it. Told them I could not find it and they sent me another free of charge.

Take that.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
        ... and limit calories to net 1300.
        Are you 4 feet tall? 1300 seems a little extreme.

Comment

Excercise will never make more than a 10% contribution to losing weight, at least 90% of the effort has to be on controlling eating. To put it in context, it takes half an hour of reasonably strenuous exercise on a rowing maching to burn off the equivalent of a low-calorie sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
            Excercise will never make more than a 10% contribution to losing weight, at least 90% of the effort has to be on controlling eating. To put it in context, it takes half an hour of reasonably strenuous exercise on a rowing maching to burn off the equivalent of a low-calorie sandwich.
            Depends what you're doing - when I was training properly last year I was burning around 1600 each training session (So at least twice a week). That said, I agree with your sentiment - exercise is important, but yeah, my my normal 5 - 10km runs never had any real impact on my weight.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              Are you 4 feet tall? 1300 seems a little extreme.
              Net calories. I am trying to lose weight also.

Comment

• Try replacing all your drinks with water
                • Track your calories using MFP or equivalent
                • Lift weights
                • Try something known as "intermittent fasting" and you'll watch the fat melt away.
                • Use a fat caliper to measure your body fat percentage, you can find them on ebay
                • Check your weight once every week at the same time (for example as soon as you wake up every Friday)
                • At the end of the day its all about calories in vs calories out so you just need to stay in a calorie deficit.
                • Do you know your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)? and your Total daily energy expenditure (TDEE)? once you have worked that out, its very easy to calculate how many calories you need per day to achieve your goal weight.
                Last edited by Manz; 21 June 2014, 20:23.

Comment

Weighed myself this morning and am now 13 stone 6 points which means I have lost 2 stone and 4 pounds since I decided to cut weight!

To further improve my day my new neighbour mentioned that sword fighting had come up in conversation when he was talking to someone, he mentioned me and this guy knew me and told him I was one if the best fighters in England.
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by Manz View Post
                    • Try replacing all your drinks with water
                    • Track your calories using MFP or equivalent
                    • Lift weights
                    • Try something known as "intermittent fasting" and you'll watch the fat melt away.
                    • Use a fat caliper to measure your body fat percentage, you can find them on ebay
                    • Check your weight once every week at the same time (for example as soon as you wake up every Friday)
                    • At the end of the day its all about calories in vs calories out so you just need to stay in a calorie deficit.
                    • Do you know your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)? and your Total daily energy expenditure (TDEE)? once you have worked that out, its very easy to calculate how many calories you need per day to achieve your goal weight.
                    Yeah all of that is exactly what I am doing

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      What walking and cycling apps do people recommend? I have used Walkmeter in the past but it's getting more insistent to upgrade and I think it's time to look again if I have to pay.
                      How about one of these

KGoal: introducing the fitness tracker for your vagina | Art and design | theguardian.com

I like the idea of games - wonder if they'll do multi-player? Ping pong anyone?

Comment

Working...
                      X