• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Went to buy a house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    New build in local desireable area - semi with 4 bedrooms.

Issues:

1) car won't fit into "garage" - well maybe 2 inches on each side of space, not willing to get aggro every day
    2) private road rather than public
    3) £1 mln spent for some kind of drainage system to mitigate flood risk ...
    4) no Virgin cables laid and since it's consevation area getting Sky dish might be issue
    5) they want it reserved because others put offers - £2k of which 650 won't be refunded

Someone tried suing Persimmons because their family car won't fit in the garage. It was two inches smaller than the distance between the wing mirrors. Normal story with a family on sofa looking forlorn. They saw the plans so it went no where. New houses are just not designed with the idea of putting cars in the garages.

Private roads can be a ball ache, particularly if it is a big estate. You can become liable for all sorts and the community will have to pay. Obviously not everyone will and a nightmare ensues.

No virgin cables? How about well shagged ones?

Deposit is normal. My mate went through that whole rigmerole. They were only building houses to order as they ran out of cash to finish the estate as well. Meant the estate looked half finished for years until it was all sold.

Why a new estate though? I can't stand them.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Way to go AtW. Just as the bubble is about to burst you start looking at new sofas. :doom:

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

Feck me. New build? Semi? What kind of chav are you?

If I were you I'd buy either:

1) a detached, old, characterful house that has been done up
    (if you must have a house)

or

2) a large, high up, one bed penthouse with a view

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Private road is OK. I'd be more concerned about it being a semi. You never know what kind of squirrel botherer you'll get next door.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    started a topic Went to buy a house

Went to buy a house

Issues:

1) car won't fit into "garage" - well maybe 2 inches on each side of space, not willing to get aggro every day
    2) private road rather than public
    3) £1 mln spent for some kind of drainage system to mitigate flood risk ...
    4) no Virgin cables laid and since it's consevation area getting Sky dish might be issue
    5) they want it reserved because others put offers - £2k of which 650 won't be refunded

Working...
X