• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Six-year-old schoolboy suspended for having Mini Cheddars in his lunchbox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I'd be quite cheesed off about this if I was that boy's father. Still tons of kids get suspended for really minor offences but the school should think more Caerphilly about their policy given recent research saying that cheese can help people who want to lose weight.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...dy-claims.html

Last edited by Mich the Tester; 4 February 2014, 11:29.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Irrelevant to the child's suspension though. The rules are already in place, they can be challenged via the appropriate means but not just ignored.
    The mini cheddars are clearly a grey area being neither sweets nor crisps, and we don't know they were explicitly banned. As I pointed out you cannot rationally ban them without banning a lot of other stuff. What about ham, sausages and other preserved meats which are proven to increase incidence of cancer? What about cheese which is high in saturated fat? What about countless "healthy" drinks with various e numbers in?

It's a misguided policy that needs challenging, and it seems fairly obvious that the school doesn't have "appropriate means" for challenging it or they would have addressed it that way rather than resorting to suspension.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    As it happens, mini-cheddars are not actually that bad. A 25g bag is about the same calories as 1 and a half chocolate biscuits.
    Irrelevant to the child's suspension though. The rules are already in place, they can be challenged via the appropriate means but not just ignored.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I'd send him to school with fruit: Durian, the world's smelliest fruit, goes on sale in Britain | Life and style | theguardian.com

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    As it happens, mini-cheddars are not actually that bad. A 25g bag is about the same calories as 1 and a half chocolate biscuits.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Old story, but I wonder if Smartie sandwiches are still allowed?

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Only problem was violating the school's rules, and even then it's a parent issue more than a child one.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Would a packet of Ritz be acceptable?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Personally I would ask questions about the head teacher, I'd wager he lacks the gravitas and leadership skills required for the job if he needs to resort to suspending a 6 year old over anything other than the most extreme behaviour.[/url]
    Well, he is called Mr Meek...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X