• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weird working again after months on the bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    While I was on the bench, I couldn't wait to get back to work. Now I'm back its weird and difficult to get back into.

No more sitting around in my PJs, taking kids to school, looking after baby etc.

Now its up at the crack, train in the dark, sitting in a scruffy portakabin doing a crap contract. I must admit I'm never that excited at starting in new places (stresses me out) but this is the worse because of the time off I've had.

Luckily, its home every night. Would be a bit much if I had to stay away methinks....

But thats reality for you I guess. Beginning to wonder though whether I should have sucked up the bench time and waited for something a bit more interesting (and paid more!).
    Are you sure you're cut out for contracting?
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Last day on the bench for me today and it's a strange feeling getting ready to go into to an office for hours tomorrow.

I've promised myself to be happy with the gig and remember when I see poor stuff there that it just the "same tulip...different logo!"

Comment

Originally posted by Damon View Post
        Last day on the bench for me today and it's a strange feeling getting ready to go into to an office for hours tomorrow.

I've promised myself to be happy with the gig and remember when I see poor stuff there that it just the "same tulip...different logo!"
        Is it a good payer or a 'better than nothing' gig?

At least, if its a payer then you've got that to think of. Quite nice after being on the bench. Not so good as I've found when its a crap payer and, at the back of your mind, you know its only a stop gap.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Too early to tell but the overall project is an interesting one so will look to see it through in 2014 as cutover is Q3 or Q4.

Comment

Working...
          X