• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

England owes Poland immigrant claims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England owes Poland immigrant claims

From the Guardian article online on UK Polish immigrants ...

Now is the time to say something very painful. England owes Poland for what we suffered from 1939 onwards.

I came to England in 2004 and applied for 200 jobs and got two replies, for lowest work. I took a job clearing waste. A management post became available, but an Englishwoman with no CV like I have instead got the job.

'I need to shout the real fact - that Polish people have generated huge profit for the UK. But our education is often not recognised here, we have no families around who can support our progress, and we have difficulties with ability for bank credits because of our short history of local work.

'English people are friendly to us, but not friends. I don't want to believe that they are friendly, yet behind thinking of good business only. Now is the time to say something very painful. England owes Poland for what we suffered from 1939 onwards. We want to be treated as intelligent people and given the chance to catch up.'

Don't blame them too much - decades of communist rule ensured that brains for corrupted for several generations, in a decade or two they will think differently.

Comment

Link to the original story, please....
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I thought it was Germany that invaded Poland?

Comment

Apologies

We didn't rescue them apparently from the Germans or the Russians. Not our fault that Poland is sandwiched between the two, is it ?

Comment

Poland and other Eastern European states were betrayed by the Allies when they agreed to let USSR occupy them for a few decades. It is possible that attack on Poland by Hitler would not have happened if UK was tougher with Hitler when he invaded Checkoslovakia.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              Poland and other Eastern European states were betrayed by the Allies when they agreed to let USSR occupy them for a few decades. It is possible that attack on Poland by Hitler would not have happened if UK was tougher with Hitler when he invaded Checkoslovakia.
              Exactly Atw,Churchills agreement to surrended Poland to communism was a terrible mistake and I can understand the Poles resentment, especially as the official reason for Britains entry to that war was the invasion of Poland by Germany, altough oddly enough the USSR also invaded Germany at the same time as Germany and we didnt declare War on the USSR.

Was Churchill a closet Communist?

Go figure.
              Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 14 August 2006, 09:41.

Comment

History Lessons

The reason that we are in this mess is because we've spent so much time trying to right all the wrongs in this world. Britain has fought more and lenghtier wars than any other country in history. Everywhere you go in the world through Europe, Asia and Africa there are graveyards littered with the bodies of thousands of British servicemen. And for what ? No thanks whatsoever. About time to start looking after its own people.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                  Exactly Atw,Churchills agreement to surrended Poland to communism was a terrible mistake
                  This happened in 1944 in Yalta Conference, at that time the USA did not have atom bomb and Churchill must have expected much slower advancement of Russian tanks given final opening of the 2nd front in that year, indeed no sane leader would pay such a price in blood that Soviets paid while advancing onto Germany.

Though given atom bomb's existance in 1945 things could have been played differently, but Stalin allegedly kept his cool when Truman said about atom bomb test and gave him impression that he has got his own too.

Comment

You guys crack me up!

All the time slagging of intervention in modern day warfare, promoting a more "thoughtful" approach.............now talking about slagging off the lack of intervention in the past!

Comment

Working...
                    X