• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Ashes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The pride of playing one over on the final day? The pride of making all your supporters come back for a couple of overs?

It's over a week to the next test and the Aussies have a game in between, I hardly think a rest day for the Brits matters.

Although, maybe the batters would have come back and the rest of the squad could stay in bed...
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    It's psychology. It's pride in stopping the opposition from having everything their own way.

Australia's objective would be to delay and annoy England as much as possible, and being brought back in the morning for what might possibly be a single delivery would have p1ssed England off. They nearly did it too.

A small part of England batting on in the morning was to p1ss Australia off. Instead of turning up and focussing on going out to start batting, Australia were made to go out and focus yet again on bowling and fielding for a while.
    d000hg doesn't understand the game yet. Maybe he'll mature into it.

Most of cricket is in the head, Ramprakash: one of the most gifted players of his generation. Couldn't put it together on the big stage. Same as Graham Hick. Same as Kambli, who was considered better than Tendulkar beforre his career went off the rails. I have played with some great players who couldn't have made the leap to first class cricket, as they simply couldn't have handled the pressure. Steve Waugh called Sledging mental disintegration, and that's all it was, it was sowing seeds of doubt into the players head. Trying to unsettle him.

Comment

That is a disgrace

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        That is a disgrace
        So were the two non-LBWs.

Comment

So were the two non-LBWs.
          As expected, classic whataboutery.

I think that was about the worst umpiring decision I have seen and I have been watching cricket for years, because every replay showed not out, from every angle and the new technology said not out. About 20 times in slow motion we were shown a not out. That is twice they have had a clear mistake made on review.

Comment

As expected, classic whataboutery.

I think that was about the worst umpiring decision I have seen and I have been watching cricket for years, because every replay showed not out, from every angle and the new technology said not out. About 20 times in slow motion we were shown a not out. That is twice they have had a clear mistake made on review.
            Sighs. They say they didn't get snicko until just after the decision had been made. But on the soundtrack there was a noise at the right time (after he'd hit his pad) that didn't show up on snicko, but that's what the 3rd ump went on. I can't explain it, but there you are. I've seen worse decisions.
            Last edited by Doggy Styles; 1 August 2013, 21:57.

Comment

Sighs. They say they didn't get snicko until just after the decision had been made. But on the soundtrack there was a noise at the right time (after he'd hit his pad) that didn't show up on snicko, but that's what the 3rd ump went on. I can't explain it, but there you are. I've seen worse decisions.
              They watched it 20 or 30 times in slow motion and each shot showed it was not out. Clearly not out. On that basis it was about as bad as it can get.

Umpiring has been terrible this series, Australia have fecked themselves over with bad review calls but with bad calls on them before and after review seemingly run of the mill how can they base their decisions on any certainty.

Comment

Snicko isn't part of DRS.

That said, snicko seems to have been off this match - for the Anderson appeal for caught behind, there was a definite noise. Snicko shows it as after the ball has passed the bat, but at the time of the noise showing on snicko, the ball was past the bat, the bat was off the floor, the bat was away from the body, and nothing seemed to make the noise. So unless it was someone in the slips clicking their fingers, what made the noise?

At the end of the day, it's human error. Blaming the technology, as many are doing, is wrong.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

They watched it 20 or 30 times in slow motion and each shot showed it was not out. Clearly not out.
                  Well no, it didn't and it wasn't. You couldn't tell from the slo-mo with certainty.

If you could then no-one would have been bothered about snicko not showing an edge (not used in the decision, unlike the mysterious noise).

Comment

They watched it 20 or 30 times in slow motion and each shot showed it was not out. Clearly not out. On that basis it was about as bad as it can get.
                    If only the umpire could see it 20 times in slow motion before making a decision rather than once at full speed.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Australia show how to use the DRS yet again.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X