• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We apologise for the late arrival of Global Warming....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    second wettest ?

what caused the first
    Rain

Comment

You're missing the point; second wettest (not by much) after 4 months of serious drought...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        A hockey stick.

Or something.

Maybe it was a cricket bat.

Yes.

That's it.

Playing cricket changes the climate.

By George I've got it.

Off to write my nobel prize winning paper.
        *yawn*

Comment

How can the met office tell us, with a straight face, that they dont know why global warming has stalled
          There is no 'stalled', the 20 year trend is positive, and in line with projections,

Wood for Trees: Interactive Graphs

There have been claims of a flat trend over shorter periods, e.g. the last 16 years, however in a trend analysis the robustness of the trend calculation is dependent on the number of data points and 15-16 years of data is unlikely to achieve the 95% confidence which is the usual threshold for 'statistically significant'. So a common piece of misdirection is to conflate 'a warming trend that does not achieve significance' with 'no significant warming'. Be truly 'sceptical'.

these are the fools who told us that new jersey would be under 15m of water in 2040
          Blaster reproduces yet again his favourite piece of p*sspoor science journalism from over a decade ago, and we have this claim, which in the absence of a source I guess is a mangling of an interview question with Jim Hansen about the West Side Highway, neither remotely representative of what the primary literature is telling us. Why is that?

When I interviewed James Hansen I asked him to speculate on what the view outside his office window could look like in 40 years with doubled CO2. I'd been trying to think of a way to discuss the greenhouse effect in a way that would make sense to average readers. I wasn't asking for hard scientific studies. It wasn't an academic interview. It was a discussion with a kind and thoughtful man who answered the question
          Examining Hansen's prediction about the West Side Highway

BTW, this is the West Side Highway a few weeks ago

Last edited by pjclarke; 11 January 2013, 10:01. Reason: spelling
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

People used to worry about questions about threats that were being posed by the Greens, nowadays people worry about the threat posed by the Greens

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The reason for elevated temps in the USA:

Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

In simple terms if you have thermometer that was surrounded by forest and is now surrounded by air conditioners and houses emitting heat then it will register a higher temperature.

One can notice the effect in Winter that when you stand next to someones open door you may feel warmer.

I´m not sure that I would get unduly hyterical about it, or necesarily believe a rather far fetched theory of "runaway global warming".
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

That's right, and somehow 11 x 10^23 Joules of heat found their way from those open front doors into the ocean...

Sheesh.
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Meanwhile, in the real world, the rats are leaving the sinking ship

The NYT has closed down it's environment desk
                  Al Gore has sold his TV company to the enemy (big oil)
                  A whistleblower has leaked the draft of the next IPCC report
                  And Green malthusian hysteria takes knock after knock

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                  X