• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We apologise for the late arrival of Global Warming....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed this in the Met office´s blurb...

the Met Office has published preliminary observations which show an increase in the intensity and volume of rain, we are clear that this relates to a period from 1960 onwards – not ‘since records began’.
    So it wasn´t a record year for rain at all, as everyone thought.

You can always make up a record when you take a bit of the country, or limit the time period. "Oh it was the wettest April since the beginning of the year"

Apparently Scotland had a drier year than normal, but it was still wetter than England.

Was Sandy actually a hurricane?
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

There were all these things just as much 50, 100 and 1000 years ago.
      Really?, In the US, the National Climate Data Centre reported

The U.S. Climate Extremes Index (USCEI) measures the occurrence of several types of climate extremes, such as record or near-record warmth, dry spells or rainy periods. In 2012, extremes in warm temperatures as well as extensive drought conditions persisted across the country. Drought conditions overwhelmed much of the central portion of the contiguous U.S. (CONUS) and grew as large as areas of drought from the 1950s during the summer months of 2012. Record to near-record heat beginning in March led to the warmest year on record for the CONUS. The spatial extent of extremes, as measured by the USCEI, during the calendar year was 19 percent greater than the historical average and the second largest extent in combined extremes on record (since 1910).
      and in Australia it got so unprecendentedly hot that their Met Bureau had to invent a new color for the temperature map

yeah - move on, nothing to see here ...
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

BB -
        So it wasn´t a record year for rain at all, as everyone thought.
        Apparently not ...

Provisional statistics from the Met Office show 2012 was the second wettest year in the UK national record dating back to 1910, and just a few millimetres short of the record set in 2000.
        Statistics for December and 2012 - is the UK getting wetter? - Met Office

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Or maybe god sorted it out.

That would be a rubbish miracle because nobody understands the climate properly to tell!

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
          Pretty picture. I wonder what it means.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            That would be a rubbish miracle because nobody understands the climate properly to tell!

Pretty picture. I wonder what it means.
            It means keep the fook away from coober peedey and Alice!

Jesus, how hot is the middle bit? 54 celcius? Mental

Comment

But what do you think NF
              Is the Met Office providing value for money
              Do you believe their forecasting capability, & if so over what period daily ? weekly? monthly?
              Do you believe HM Govt looked for input from them before issuing its drought order last year?
              Do you see anything weird with a Met Office that says it "will no longer produce long range forecasts" but still has a view on decades for Global warming
              Is it all bolloxs anyway as its all based on modelling?

whadya fink Mr NF?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                But what do you think NF
                Is the Met Office providing value for money - Yes. They are self funding so offer cracking value for money, same os the OS
                Do you believe their forecasting capability, & if so over what period daily ? weekly? monthly? - Yes, they have been getting 98% of day to day forecasts right, and 87% of 5 day forecasts right, on targets of 95 and 80 respectingly
                Do you believe HM Govt looked for input from them before issuing its drought order last year? - Yes, they did.
                Do you see anything weird with a Met Office that says it "will no longer produce long range forecasts" but still has a view on decades for Global warming - This is more from the Hadley Centre than the Met Office and the tulip they received for stating the BBQ summer
                Is it all bolloxs anyway as its all based on modelling? Absolutely

whadya fink Mr NF?
                That's my take on it.

I worked there for 13 months and their take is that the UK has more unpredictable weather patterns than most other countries, due tot he gulf stream, and other factors, and that without the gulfstream, we'd have much more definable weather patterns.

When I worked there, a colleague and I recorded their forecasts against the actual weather and they exceeded their targets for 13 months I was there.

Cracking place to work, by the way.

Comment

Is the Met Office self-funding? Although they have a commercial arm, I thought they still had a significant amount of tax payer's cash to fund public services, see here especially Figure 1.

Would be an interesting place to work though!
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
                    Is the Met Office self-funding? Although they have a commercial arm, I thought they still had a significant amount of tax payer's cash to fund public services, see here especially Figure 1.

Would be an interesting place to work though!
                    I think the tax payer stumps up about 200m per year iirc.

If you read the statement from the met office carefully, they say that global warming has stalled and will stay stalled until 2017.
                    They say that natural variation is overcoming cagw and stopping the underlying trend, temporarily.

Why is is it that natural variation always brings temperatures down ? If the temperatures go up, it's our fault, if they go down its natural causes

yeah. and my @rse is a cream bun

and for OH and the other hard of thinking - somewhere, every day, some record is being broken. It's been the same since time began

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Worth remembering that the 'barbecue summer' debacle was about precipitation - the forecast was for above average temperatures and average or low rainfall, they got the precipitation badly wrong, but the temperatures spot-on.

Summer forecast 2009 - Met Office
                      Summer 2009 round-up - Met Office

Comment

Working...
                      X