• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Children with ADHD. Real or bad parenting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mudskipper
    replied
    Sorry to hear that

    Leave a comment:


  • MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    So they want him to attend a special unit two days a week. It's not available until January, so they want him to reduce his hours at school to 8.30-10.30 and for him to be homeschooled for the rest of the day until Jan.
    So been attending the special unit for the last theee months for one day a week. For the other days two hours a day in mainstream (last month 1.5 hours) to be upped 15 minutes a week.

    He doesn’t go in the class anymore sitting in a library with a 121. Not been to an assembly in a year and only just been allowed to have a playtime (we’d been picking him up just before). Can’t do clubs, can’t do lunchtimes, can’t do supermarkets, lost most of his friends now.

    His draft EHCP has come through. 20 hours one to one in mainstream. So now rejecting that. School says he will need to leave as he now isn’t getting the curriculum.

    With that draft I have now spent the last week having to visit special needs and behavioural schools. Some are like prisons, some like a one star motel Scooter would have stayed in, some religious, some normal looking.Quirky kids, slow kids, ADHD kids, kids wearing ear defenders, kids shouting, kids being restrained, loud kids, rude kids, special kids.

    The school we went to today is good, up until eleven. A lot of schools will keep them until 18, but this was for juniors and seemed the best fit. They can deal with kids flipping out.

    I asked how many kids went into mainstream when they leave this school. They said 4 in four years. 4! ******* four. I have to admit I cried.

    So a special school next. I know where this will eventually go. I hate this thread.

    Leave a comment:


  • Uncle Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    So they want him to attend a special unit two days a week. It's not available until January, so they want him to reduce his hours at school to 8.30-10.30 and for him to be homeschooled for the rest of the day until Jan.
    I'd call IPSEA and get some advice as I'm not sure that they can exclude him for part of the day like that. IPSEA are very good and will support you right through any appeals or legal challenges.

    Leave a comment:


  • MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    If exclusion is being suggested, make sure you know your rights. https://www.ipsea.org.uk/what-you-ne...on-from-school

    Good luck

    So they want him to attend a special unit two days a week. It's not available until January, so they want him to reduce his hours at school to 8.30-10.30 and for him to be homeschooled for the rest of the day until Jan.

    Leave a comment:


  • Uncle Albert
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    And now the first permanent exclusion looms. Now referred to a special behavioural unit, he will be attending a special unit to see if he can be helped.

    He now hits the floor or throws chairs / things everytime he is startled by a loud noise. Talking normally one second, rolling around like a lunatic the other. The complaints have started the last few weeks from other parents who's children have now become anxious, or he's hit when he's having a meltdown, pushing people away from him. Wearing ear protectors when we go out, getting odd looks all the time and now other parents turning away, at other times he's funny, clever & engaging.

    I know in my heart where this will go eventually. F-uck it.
    If exclusion is being suggested, make sure you know your rights. https://www.ipsea.org.uk/what-you-ne...on-from-school

    Good luck

    Leave a comment:


  • psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    You might be better to put in a complaint rather than use violence.
    Flowchart for dealing with complaints in NHS.

    1. Can we deny it happened? If so deny it. If not got to 2.
    2. Can we blame budget cuts? If so blame budget cuts. If not go to 3.
    3. Last resort just say we're sorry and we've taken note. End of.

    Leave a comment:


  • SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    MF - Sounds like the sort of thing my 83 year old Dad would say. Hes famous for forgetting its not the 1950s. Should hear his opinions on same sex relationships, and non-white people. Cringeworthy....

    My sons recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. Let me tell you - the things he does, the way he behaves is bizarre to say the least. Its not bad behaviour.
    His behaviour isn't bizarre it is just different. If humans all acted the same we would have died out as a species.


    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Saying that you'd be surprised the number of health professionals who flag it as "parental skills problems". One supposed mental health professional nearly ended up in A&E with broken nose when they said this to my Mrs!
    Health professionals are members of society so have as fecked up views as everyone else even though they should know better.

    Leave a comment:


  • woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Saying that you'd be surprised the number of health professionals who flag it as "parental skills problems". One supposed mental health professional nearly ended up in A&E with broken nose when they said this to my Mrs!
    You might be better to put in a complaint rather than use violence.

    Leave a comment:


  • psychocandy
    replied
    MF - Sounds like the sort of thing my 83 year old Dad would say. Hes famous for forgetting its not the 1950s. Should hear his opinions on same sex relationships, and non-white people. Cringeworthy....

    My sons recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. Let me tell you - the things he does, the way he behaves is bizarre to say the least. Its not bad behaviour.

    Saying that you'd be surprised the number of health professionals who flag it as "parental skills problems". One supposed mental health professional nearly ended up in A&E with broken nose when they said this to my Mrs!

    Leave a comment:


  • mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    And now the first permanent exclusion looms. Now referred to a special behavioural unit, he will be attending a special unit to see if he can be helped.

    He now hits the floor or throws chairs / things everytime he is startled by a loud noise. Talking normally one second, rolling around like a lunatic the other. The complaints have started the last few weeks from other parents who's children have now become anxious, or he's hit when he's having a meltdown, pushing people away from him. Wearing ear protectors when we go out, getting odd looks all the time and now other parents turning away, at other times he's funny, clever & engaging.

    I know in my heart where this will go eventually. F-uck it.
    Sorry to hear that.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X