• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Barnyard vol. CXL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Barnyard vol. CXL

Lovely day out there today I, however, am in here…
    • Unicorn Poop Cookies - "The real deal - it's made of sugar cookies, rainbow dragees, rainbow star sprinkles, white sparkle gel, and rainbow disco dust." kristylynn84 has a lot of other cool recipes, such as Death Star Dessert: "This (very scaled) version of the Death Star is a Mousse Bomb infused with Pop Rocks. As soon as this Death Star gets destroyed by your fork, the bites you take of the internal workings will explode in your mouth."

• Everything you never wanted to know about the mites that eat, crawl, and have sex on your face - "This is the terrifying world of the Demodex mite. And by “terrifying world”, I mean your face. For anyone who wants to know more, and who isn’t currently clawing at their cheeks or bleaching their head (health tip: don’t), here’s everything you never wanted to know about your face-mites." Yuk

• Gay marriage: the database engineering perspective - "Altering your database schema to accommodate gay marriage can be easy or difficult depending on how smart you were when you originally set up your system to accommodate heterosexuality only. Let's begin." Sam Hughes gets a bit carried away considering the question of how relationships should be represented in a relational database: "Well, that started as a stream of consciousness about equal parts nuptial rights and Structured Query Language and finished up moving into graph theory, something I, for one, did not see coming."

• Joseph P. Ryan – President of the International Longshoremen Association – Port of New York - Joe Bruno on the shenanigans that inspired the classic film On the Waterfront: "To understand how the mob manipulated the docks, and the ILA, you must grasp the manner in which dockworkers were hired daily. The method for hiring was not who was the most qualified, the strongest, or the most industrious person available. The only thing that mattered is that you paid tribute to the hiring boss, who ran the docks like the Gestapo ran Hitler’s Germany." There's loads of other interesting stuff about gangsters on that site.

• NASA Wives and Families - From PBS's excellent Race to the Moon site, a look at how the Apollo programme affected those who stayed behind: "I was surprised at how many people thought that we had some kind of special help, because we didn't. We were military wives, we formed a corps of wives; we were close to each other, but there was no psychological help; there was no one preparing us for this life."

• What the Founder’s Email Address Says About Your Startup - "[email protected] <– It’s a casual, yet hip atmosphere… [email protected] <– The founding team is all from Microsoft and can’t shake it if they tried." Amusing and insightful little list from David Beisel.

• Troma Movies: Almost 40 Years of Reel Independence - Independent studio Troma Entertainment are putting their entire catalogue, including weird horror films and classics featuring stars like Abbott and Costillo and Bela Lugosi, on YouTube. Troma's entry in Wikipedia describes their production values well: "Troma films are B-movies known for their surrealistic or automatistic nature, along with their use of shocking imagery; some would categorize them as "shock exploitation films". They typically contain overt sexuality, nudity, and intentionally sadistic, gory, and blatant graphic violence, so much that the term "Troma film" has become synonymous with these characteristics... Troma reuses the same props, actors, and scenes repeatedly, sometimes to save money. At a certain point, however, this became another hallmark of Troma. Examples include a severed leg, a penis monster, and the flipping and exploding car filmed for the movie Sgt. Kabukiman, NYPD, which is used in place of any other car that needs to crash and explode." Of particular note is Cannibal! the Musical, made by Trey Parker and Matt Stone before they went on to create South Park.

• Google Maps Street View Of Famous Album Covers - "I can't tell if these are really cool or really disappointing." Places that appear on famous album covers, as seen on Street View. That's it, really.

• How Tracking Down My Stolen Computer Triggered a Drug Bust - Another tale of thieves being caught by geolocation, particularly notable for the unbelievable idiocy of the thief in using the computer to upload photos of his car in front of his house, which he then posted with his phone number on Craigslist... the photos being automatically backed up to "the cloud", where the computer's owner found them

• The Wormworld Saga: Chapter 4 - The latest instalment of Daniel Lieske's beautiful online graphic novel

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Lovely day out there today I, however, am in here…

Gay marriage: the database engineering perspective - "Altering your database schema to accommodate gay marriage can be easy or difficult depending on how smart you were when you originally set up your system to accommodate heterosexuality only. Let's begin." Sam Hughes gets a bit carried away considering the question of how relationships should be represented in a relational database: "Well, that started as a stream of consciousness about equal parts nuptial rights and Structured Query Language and finished up moving into graph theory, something I, for one, did not see coming."

Happy invoicing!
    Y2Gay
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Fabulous set of links as ever! Thanks
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X