• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

RBS 'Computer Glitch'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massive hack attack on major banks nets gang 100's of millions and may disrupt UK banking for several days and compromise thousands of customer accounts
    LINKY
    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Having recently got the boot from RBS, I hope this starts a trend of bring work back onshore.

On the business side, the Japanese tsunami made managers think about have an alternative centre up north of UK.

So maybe we will be back in business?

Comment

It is interesting that this first occurred on Tuesday night. Normally we have applied batch patches/changes to banking systems on the weekend after the Friday night batch so the first problem will be encountered on Monday night.

Tuesday is more of a staging test day! I reckon (as happened to me before) the <mod snip> bob was meant to be testing the staging system but applied it in production!!!!

Having got the boot myself from RBS last year I am suddenly hoping that this should trigger the return of the onshore IT worker in banks.......
        Last edited by cojak; 23 June 2012, 11:08. Reason: Not acceptable, don't insult the individual

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
          But bobs live in a world where competition for jobs is high and they get fired for farting. What would you do in that culture??
          When I say it's a cultural thing, it's not the individuals at fault, it's a stupid culture where people get fired for farting, rather than being incompetent. At least in the west people get fired for pointing out problems and trying to get them fixed, or being a threat to incompetent managers, rather than being incompetent...

oh.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by mercenary View Post
            It is interesting that this first occurred on Tuesday night. Normally we have applied batch patches/changes to banking systems on the weekend after the Friday night batch so the first problem will be encountered on Monday night.

Tuesday is more of a staging test day! I reckon (as happened to me before) the <mod snip> bob was meant to be testing the staging system but applied it in production!!!!

Having got the boot myself from RBS last year I am suddenly hoping that this should trigger the return of the onshore IT worker in banks.......
            I thought that to, also Iv seen same at RBS logged into prod only to find Bob had released uat code and pointed it to a uat db!

Comment

Originally posted by mercenary View Post
              Tuesday is more of a staging test day! I reckon (as happened to me before) the f***** bob was meant to be testing the staging system but applied it in production!!!!
              one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                It doesn't matter a damn who wrote the code, the people testing and reviewing and managing deployment/backup and emergency scenarios are the ones who are to blame and I very much doubt those roles are all off-shored.
                All code has bugs - Bobcode might be more buggy but eventually even a team of ace developers will drop clangers. And even if the bugs don't get detected, not having adequate disaster recovery can't really be blamed on Bob.

To automatically suggest a major problem is down to offshore devs is borderline racist really.
                Honestly, where to fooking start!?

Developers never write tulipe code? Developers always react politely when being told there are defects? Developers are always happy to discuss issues with their work?

Business \ Program Managers always schedule full testing, do they? Business \ Program managers never drop tests to meet deadlines, do they? Business \ Program managers never say dont bother testing that, it'll work ok in Production, do they?

Test teams never under resourced, are they? Test team often made up of the cheapest available resource, are they? Test teams often put together with people who've worked for the client before so they are always the best option are they? Testing isnt often squeezed into an impossible time slot at the end of the project calendar, is it?

Oh, and testing isnt done by off shore teams who everyone knows produces utter tulipe, is it?

Fook off, will ya?
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Honestly, where to fooking start!?

Developers never write tulipe code? Developers always react politely when being told there are defects? Developers are always happy to discuss issues with their work?

Business \ Program Managers always schedule full testing, do they? Business \ Program managers never drop tests to meet deadlines, do they? Business \ Program managers never say dont bother testing that, it'll work ok in Production, do they?

Test teams never under resourced, are they? Test team often made up of the cheapest available resource, are they? Test teams often put together with people who've worked for the client before so they are always the best option are they? Testing isnt often squeezed into an impossible time slot at the end of the project calendar, is it?

Oh, and testing isnt done by off shore teams who everyone knows produces utter tulipe, is it?

Fook off, will ya?
                  +1
                  Last edited by oscarose; 23 June 2012, 09:17. Reason: quote error
                  one day at a time

Comment

Just got a text saying "We have fixed the initial problem and are now working on clearing the backlog." Then again, I'm pretty sure they said that the other night

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
                      I'm onto it OR.

mercenary, that wasn't acceptable, please don't do it again.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X