• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spain in state of total emergency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    says ex-premier Felipe Gonzalez, the country's elder statesman.

He doesn't sound very optimistic. More of a half-empty guy?
    Just as is so often the case with those who are called pessimists, he may well be right, and it may well cause big trouble for everyone.

Frankly I think the whole Euro discussion is a red herring compared to the dangers in Greece and Spain; in or out of the EU or the Euro, northern Europe is going to have to keep sending money to Spain and Greece to prevent them becoming failed states and sinking into a nationalist or military dictatorship which would start picking fights with other countries to 'restore national pride' or some such bulltulip. Just imagine it; Greek nationalist government starts picking fights with Turkey, Spanish dictator starts picking fights with Britain and siding with Argentina on the Falklands issue. I find it rather disappointing that while populist politicians rant on with their simplistic BS which the masses swallow voraciously, the more intelligent politicians (yes, there are a few) and most of the media seem to be doing nothing to explain to the public just how high the stakes really are.

Spain and Greece simply can't be allowed to fail; the currency can be changed and eventually some deal can be done on the debts, but the geopolitical consequences of failed European states with big armies could be horrific.

Just let me know if you want any more of my special brand of pessimism today.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Forgot to post a link to the source: Markets braced as Spain faces 'total emergency' - World - DNA

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    started a topic Spain in state of total emergency

Spain in state of total emergency

says ex-premier Felipe Gonzalez, the country's elder statesman.

, the worst crisis we have ever lived through
    He doesn't sound very optimistic. More of a half-empty guy?

Working...
X