• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance - Not told about it - Won't Get it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fleetwood
    company's
    Your posts remind me of King Cnut, though he knew that he could not turn back the tide, whereas ....

PS Since when was King **** a swear word?

Comment

Originally posted by Clownio
      "a certain major high street bank which owns another company that features a dog in its advertising, is insisting on credit checks on its contractors and made it a condition of the next renewal.

There were many very good contractors who were not renewed after this... seemed very unfair"

That would be RBoS Nat West then.

FFS

Were you there?

Comment

Originally posted by premiere
        Nicked a telly (twice)
        twice, what happend someone nick it back
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
          Having a record and debts is not a barrier to getting SC cleared as long as you are honest about it. You may not get it but dont be panicking just yet.
          They are looking for people who can be coerced into spying either by bribe or blackmail. If they can see you are an upstanding chap you have a chance.
          I have SC clearance and can be brought relatively cheaply.

See you, you ****. I'll cut you first...

Comment

bawt
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Dalek
              Were you there?

Yes on two separate occaisions. Last spell was over five years ago and no SC was required then.
              I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

Originally posted by Clownio
                Yes on two separate occaisions. Last spell was over five years ago and no SC was required then.
                Some confusion.... it was credit checks not SC

Comment

Originally posted by premiere
                  UPDATE:

Nicked a telly (twice) and then got caught with my 'mates' (and I use that in the loosest possible term) when I was 21, in a stolen car.

As for credit? Of course I have normal mainstream cards, loans etc, as does everyone, but had a run in with Barclaycard about 5 years ago over a £1500 debt. Have checked my files, and it shows as a default until 6 years after the date of settlement (2 years ago).

The update is this. I went into work on Friday and fessed up to my boss. He seemed less than happy that I knew nothing of the clearance and is preparing to rip the ass out of the agency.

He did say again, that SC Clearance is absolutely needed and that he has seen people with worse records get in and people with better records, not get the SC.

He said that due to the cost of obtaining SC involved and the possibilty that I may not get the SC, he is exercising the clause in the contract of 1 weeks notice in the first 10 days of the contract.

He asked me not to return, but stated that he would arrange for 1 weeks pay for me (as per contract). So I left. Not that I liked where the company was anyway (Slough).

Spoke to the agent when I got home and they said pretty much that I have no chance of getting the weeks pay, so I threatened to the sue barstewards.

We'll see what happens. In any case, there's plenty more contracts around that don't need SC etc.

Right, I'm off to watch Top Gear............
                  Report the company to the DVA. I understand it is against their rules for employers (might only be agents) to do what they did to you. i.e. demand SC only applicants.
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Some confusion.... it was credit checks not SC
                    Sorry - yes that's what I meant
                    I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

I actually know a certain major high street bank which owns another company that features a dog in its advertising, is insisting on credit checks on its contractors and made it a condition of the next renewal.

There were many very good contractors who were not renewed after this... seemed very unfair

That wont be RBS and Churchill by any chance ?

Comment

Working...
                      X