• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is is worth upgrading from XP to Window 7?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    WHS

PCs are well cheap in a post-PC world

EMS memory addressing was

Makes one appreciate proper 64-bit mode
    In my new role I get the latest hardware for free from Intel...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
    16 MB, luxury lad etc...
    I paid £99 for a 1 MB upgrade board for my IBM PS/2, that was a serious upgrade then too
    WHS

PCs are well cheap in a post-PC world

EMS memory addressing was

Makes one appreciate proper 64-bit mode

Leave a comment:

• Goatfell
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Cheap price, I remember time when 16 MB was worth more than that ...
    16 MB, luxury lad etc...
    I paid £99 for a 1 MB upgrade board for my IBM PS/2, that was a serious upgrade then too

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    What do you mean "ouch"?
    yeah good point, it's only a few day's work.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Damnit just realised my motherboard will only hold 4 x 1Gb RAM! (according to the Crucial scanner)... might need to get a new motherboard methinks

EDIT: was wrong, it'll hold 4 x 2Gb, so it'll be OK................................
    Last edited by ChimpMaster; 8 March 2012, 19:28.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    just checking out the prospect of extra RAm now that I'll be runnign 64 bit OS... 16Gb of RAM (2 x 8Gb) at around £125 !! ouch.
    Cheap price, I remember time when 16 MB was worth more than that ...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    just checking out the prospect of extra RAm now that I'll be runnign 64 bit OS... 16Gb of RAM (2 x 8Gb) at around £125 !! ouch.
    What do you mean "ouch"?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

However he does have a point if the OP is a contractor who needs some level of compatibility with client corps.

That's one of the reasons why I don't use linux or a Mac - No client I've ever been at in the last 20 years has required me to use them, it's nearly all been MS/Windows/Office/PC.
    Funnily enough that was exactly my motivation for choosing a Mac in the first place. I hated the PC at work so much that I didn't want that experience in my leisure time too. I was working at a bank at the time, and contractors didn't get access from home, so compatibility wasn't a concern.

Although there was dear old VMS in a gig in Germany, and OS2 when I worked in Scotland. That's foreigners for you.
    Dear old VMS. Excellent documentation and reliability. Poor marketing meant the contracting market shrivelled and it was time to move on.

Hang on, was OS2 ever run on a Mac? I can't remember what the hardware was.
    Dunno. I ran it on a 486 back in the mid nineties, by which time it was called Warp.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    However he does have a point if the OP is a contractor who needs some level of compatibility with client corps.
    So, what runs on Windows 7 that doesn't run on XP? I've seen software which I might use for development which runs on XP but not on Win7, but nothing the other way round.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X