• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is is worth upgrading from XP to Window 7?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Sorry, I didn't realise that the OP (who was being encouraged to upgrade to Windows 7 because XP is going to be desupported in just over two years), was a large corporation planning an upgrade. Must have missed that from the original post
    Shock! Horror! CUK Thread Wanders Off Topic!

Probe Launched!

But as pointed out here:

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    However he does have a point if the OP is a contractor who needs some level of compatibility with client corps.
    Last edited by Sysman; 8 March 2012, 16:05.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I thought you had gone permie.... oh wait is it that you're not highly paid?
    It depends who's asking

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Sorry, I didn't realise that the OP (who was being encouraged to upgrade to Windows 7 because XP is going to be desupported in just over two years), was a large corporation planning an upgrade. Must have missed that from the original post

However he does have a point if the OP is a contractor who needs some level of compatibility with client corps.

That's one of the reasons why I don't use linux or a Mac - No client I've ever been at in the last 20 years has required me to use them, it's nearly all been MS/Windows/Office/PC.

Although there was dear old VMS in a gig in Germany, and OS2 when I worked in Scotland. That's foreigners for you.

Hang on, was OS2 ever run on a Mac? I can't remember what the hardware was.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    No mate, I'm a very highly paid permy and you're all cretins!

Oooops, wrong ID...
    I thought you had gone permie.... oh wait is it that you're not highly paid?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Aren't we all one-man-bands waiting for that opportunity to morph into something much much bigger?
    No mate, I'm a very highly paid permy and you're all cretins!

Oooops, wrong ID...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    It's best to have both Windows and Linux around, and use each according to needs / what you find most productive, in my humble opinion.
    What is there which is Linux-only? I know lots of open-source stuff is more Linux-oriented, but anything popular ends up having to work on Windows.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Aren't we all one-man-bands waiting for that opportunity to morph into something much much bigger?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    But that is pretty imminent for a large corp who needs to plan an upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    With a Linux only solution you are also up against the likes of Adobe who dropped Linux support for Air. Yes you can survive at the moment with their discontinued Air for Linux version, but grab it while you can, and be aware that if Adobe add new features which app developers start using you might come unstuck.

It's best to have both Windows and Linux around, and use each according to needs / what you find most productive, in my humble opinion.
    Adobe have migrated many of their heavy applications onto the cloud:
    https://www.acrobat.com/welcome/en/home.html
    Photo Editing, Photo Sharing | Photoshop.com
    Adobe Creative Cloud

At one point all one needs is a browser, javascript, java and flash.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    April 8, 2014 is the desupport date for XP on the latest service pack.

Hardly imminent.
    But that is pretty imminent for a large corp who needs to plan an upgrade.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X