• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Darren Upton goes down for 6 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 years is a pretty light sentence IMHO. For that sort of fraud and deception I would have expected at least 15 years inside.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
      Where does it say he got 6 years? Looks like sentencing is due soon.

<cough>Victoria Louise Fraenzel | Facebook</cough>
      I have my sources. Absolutely reliable, it'll probably be in the news tomorrow.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        6 years is a pretty light sentence IMHO. For that sort of fraud and deception I would have expected at least 15 years inside.
        It's not really quite on the same scale of evil as murder though, is it?
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
          Tina has remained supportive of Darren, at least when I have dealt with her. I do hope she doesn't get hit with lots of fall out here.
          Darren never took me for anything (at least it has not come to light yet) but I do hope he gets his just desserts. I might have had a bit more sympathy if he wasnt obviously funding a mid life crisis with contractors hard earned. I am sure he will have caused bankruptcies within our circle.

I don't know how deserving of flack she is, or how much she knew. I do know the Uptons liquidators were looking into why Upton accountancy assets went into the new firm at little or no cost.

I very much doubt she knew about the mistress until very recently as the Police have been very discrete while putting the case together. I have to say they have been excellent.

PS on his facebook page there was a picture of him posing outside Traitors gate, ooh the irony
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 9 February 2012, 12:35.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
            It's not really quite on the same scale of evil as murder though, is it?
            You try telling that to HMR&C.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              I don't know how deserving of flack she is, or how much she knew. I do know the Uptons liquidators were looking into why Upton accountancy assets went into the new firm at little or no cost.

I very much doubt she knew about the mistress until very recently as the Police have been very discrete while putting the case together. I have to say they have been excellent.

PS on his facebook page there was a picture of him posing outside Traitors gate, ooh the irony
              I tend to be of the "innocent until proven" brigade so will give her the benefit of the doubt. I would guess that assets being transferred cheap would be Darren crawling.
              Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

He rented her a flat in a luxurious development in Salford paying the deposit and £800 a month rent.

He also began paying for a Mercedes sports car for her as well as giving her money as a living allowance and bought her clothing from Harvey Nicholls, lingerie and expensive Mulberry handbags.

Mr Worsley told the court they enjoyed nights out at various Hilton Hotels and she considered herself his girlfriend on retainer, only becoming aware Upton was married with a young child when a problem over payment arose and she contacted his office.
                Fixed

Comment

Makes CUK sound like a dating site
                  It isn't? You mean all that time I have spent trying to groom MF was wasted?
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    Well, I didn't know about the mistress stuff, at a time when he owed > million from the FSA affair.

"A couple of clients realised they had got the wrong account details and made correct payments to HMRC but Upton submitted nil returns and obtained a refund, and fobbed off clients when queries arose."

One of those was me, he stole 13k in total, which is modest compared to some. Annoying thing is I had the refund cheque in my hand but I trusted him to sort it. He did, cancelling it and getting HMRC to BACS it into his account (pretending it was my account). I do hope he gets a new 'girlfriend' inside..
                    Ouch! I would have wanted to thump him good and proper for something like that.

Staff at his firm became increasingly concerned about the situation when Upton claimed to have sorted out problems and eventually reported him to the police themselves.
                    Good for them!
                    Last edited by Sysman; 9 February 2012, 12:54.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      They probably took all those Leeds fixtures into account in mitigation. The guy had suffered enough.
                      Maybe he could reduce his sentence further by helping Rangers out with their Tax Compliance?
                      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X