• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TV shows from the USA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV shows from the USA

Interesting article on some USA TV shows that may have gone under your radar so far, largely due to the poor coverage or crap scheduling if/when they're shown over here.

American TV's hidden gems | Television & radio | The Observer

Personally I prefer to try some of these than watch any of the soaps or celebrity/reality crap that infests UK TV.

Seems a lot recommend "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" (also scores a 9.2 on IMDB) yet I'd never heard of it until reading that article, despite it being out since 2005.

Thanks to the good old internet I'll give it a try later.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Thing that always pisses me off about getting into a US Show is how they can cancel a show mid season. I usually wait till there is a full season then *cough* download *cough* it in one go
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I couldn't follow the link but 2 very good series I've been following are:

Justified: About US Marshal sent to Kentucky and his dealings with the various redneck scrotes and low lifes that live there. Black humour, very good.

Homeland: US POW returned from Iraq. CIA bird suspects he's been brainwashed and is now Al Qaeda. None of her colleagues agree with her. CIA bird sleeps with suspect etc. Still none the wiser.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Thing that always pisses me off about getting into a US Show is how they can cancel a show mid season. I usually wait till there is a full season then *cough* download *cough* it in one go

Yep. I usually wait until at least a couple of seasons before diving in, unless there's a lot of buzz about a new show as happened with Lost, Heroes, Dexter, and Breaking Bad.

If there's that much interest then it's likely they'll survive for a while.

Heroes may have survived longer if the writers hadn't made such a mess of the storylines, though maybe the decent special effects made the budget unsustainable.
        Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

Justified: About US Marshal sent to Kentucky and his dealings with the various redneck scrotes and low lifes that live there. Black humour, very good.

Homeland: US POW returned from Iraq. CIA bird suspects he's been brainwashed and is now Al Qaeda. None of her colleagues agree with her. CIA bird sleeps with suspect etc. Still none the wiser.
          I Liked this one: Jerry Bruckheimer's Chase (TV Series 2010) - IMDb
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post

Justified: About scrotes and low lifes

Homeland: US POW CIA Al Qaeda.

Problem with recommendations is everyone has different tastes. So best thing is to obtain the first episode or two and give them a try.

If the copyright owners weren't so dumb they'd offer the first episode online for free to hook people in. Would probably encourage DVD sales with prices generally being so cheap that it's less hassle to buy them than to download if there's lots of episodes.
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

[QUOTE=PAH;1441160]Problem with recommendations is everyone has different tastes. So best thing is to obtain the first episode or two and give them a try.QUOTE]

Have to agree there. For me 24 is a good example. Plenty of people rave about it but I got to the start of series 3 (i think) where Jack was a junkie and I realised just what a crock of sh1t it really was. It was obvious that Jack was going to kick heroin in 24 hours...well probably 6 hours actaully - Like how IT could do anything. How a satellite would be able to see people leaving buildings and follow their car. How there was always somebody in on it on the inside. Like in an earlier series when his heart stopped but could get up and start fighting only an hour later. Complete horsesh1t
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                Problem with recommendations is everyone has different tastes. So best thing is to obtain the first episode or two and give them a try.

If the copyright owners weren't so dumb they'd offer the first episode online for free to hook people in. Would probably encourage DVD sales with prices generally being so cheap that it's less hassle to buy them than to download if there's lots of episodes.
                this is exactly what I do, and have been doing for last few years.

Have found many I like, and many I don't.

Beats watching Dr Who or Torchwood any day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  Problem with recommendations is everyone has different tastes.
                  Netflix didn't think so, they paid $1million in a contest they ran: Netflix Prize: Home
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm enjoying watching Ringer at the moment, and Persons Unknown started off pretty well but they've given everything away after only 6 episodes and it's got boring now. I've also found myself watching Warehouse 13 reruns the last couple of weeks. I find there's a lot of new US shows I'd like to watch, but don't want to commit the time to because I already struggle to keep up.

Fortunately thanks to having Sky I rarely bother with "local telly".
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X