• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Something's going on at St Pancras station

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I'm going back to the BedPan days before the Brighton connection was re-opened. It had 7 platforms and was very dark.
    Indeed - one of the things that parochial denizens of the south and particularly our hideous capital always seemed to be inordinately interested in was which station I'd arrived into.

In those days few seemed to have heard of St Pancras and the few that did sneered. I put this down to the fact that trains didn't serve much of the awful commuter belt around London. I love the place now and what they have done with it and I tip my hat to Sir John for saving it.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      It's just been shut 'due to overcrowding'
      Whatever it was, same thing happened at Holborn tube station last night - took 20 mins just to get to the barrier and Oyster in.
      And on the eighth day God said, "Okay, Murphy, you're in charge!"

Comment

Originally posted by manclarky View Post
        Whatever it was, same thing happened at Holborn tube station last night - took 20 mins just to get to the barrier and Oyster in.

Joys of the Capital. Roll on the Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Leeds station was closed for that reason a couple of months ago. A signal failure just before the evening rush hour meant that ALL trains were cancelled.
          Police ended up pulling the gates across the entrance
          Yorkshire seems to be a hateful place for trains.

I once visited a friend just south of sheffield on a train. On the way back, during the week, myself and other passengers waited from around midday till gone 4pm for a train to arrive, never did, no explanation why. We had to end up getting a train replacement bus back up to sheffield, to then be told they were having signalling problems and wait around a couple more hours just to get back over the pennines to manchester.

It made the west coast delays and bus replacement services look like a minor inconveinience/picnic.

Comment

It's just been shut 'due to overcrowding'.

What a load of cack. I've practically lived there for the last year and it copes with anything.

Something's happened (or there's intell that something might happen), you mark my words...
            Welcome to London, this is a regular occurence. Bank and Waterloo stations often have this problem and earlier this year the tube often didn't stop at St P for the same problem.

Thankfully I don't have to deal with that any more
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              This was before he was "too" deaf. I was stood next to him at the bar, didn't realise who he was until I ordered a pint and he said "I recognise that accent!" I turned round looked at him and said something like "Bloody hell, Eric Sykes! Fancy a pint?" - He was born in my home town but we'd never met before. We had a couple of beers and chewed the fat, two "Northeners Abroad" as it were.

All in all a pleasant interlude while waiting for a train.
              Churchy is from Owdham! Eric was born near the Mucky Brows weren't he?

Eric Sykes is a God, I love his joke that goes;

We were so poor when I was a lad, I didn't have any clothes at all. When I was nine my dad bought me a cap so I could look out of the window......

I've got his biography, class.......

Comment

Maybe it's the whole of eastern Europe arriving on our doorstep?

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                  Welcome to London, this is a regular occurence. Bank and Waterloo stations often have this problem and earlier this year the tube often didn't stop at St P for the same problem.

Thankfully I don't have to deal with that any more
                  Not for the whole of St Pancras. First time for a year that I've been around.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Not for the whole of St Pancras. First time for a year that I've been around.
                    Used to happen quite a lot when they were doing construction work and when prople were getting used to new barriers.

I blame the white company opening
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X