• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else in receipt of a threatening letter from the tax man lately?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I got one from the Council regarding the single occupancy 'discount'. More than one actually, they send me one every 3 or 4 weeks and I've had 4 or 5 now. I've replied by email, telephone and by letter. They threaten to remove my discount if I don't reply with 2 weeks each time, claiming there are other people living with me. Odd letters they are too, as if written by a bunch of con artists. In their last letter they invented a non-Anglo Saxon name and also sent a letter to him or her at my address. I've replied telling them not to keep threatening me, inventing names and that if I receive another will complain to the Local Government Ombudsman, for all the good that's likely to do. They seem to be the law unto themselves. What's annoying is that's it takes little effort on their part, it's all automatic, whereas I have to spend time on replies. I'll see if I can get them to expend some time and effort too.
    All councils have a complaints procedure it normally goes the department, Chief Executive then local government ombudsman/your MP.

I found with my council that sending in a letter recorded signed for to them, then to the Chief Executive pointing out that I sent the previous letter when they wouldn't leave me alone stopped them hassling me about Council tax.

Yes it costs more to send the letters in but if you do have to take it further it's easier to prove they they highly likely did get the letters and there are in administrative tulip.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yes, I have. Take a look at this....

link

Comment

Two Letters!!

Yes, i got two on the Saturday morning before going away on a 2 week holiday that afternoon - really helped my holiday mood!

1. HMRC sent out letters to 40,000 companies they suspected of turning over more that 73k but not paying VAT. Kindly invited me to fess up before end of September and I can reduce my my charges and fees for not paying!?!?

This was resolved on the Monday by my accountant after speaking to HMRC. They got my company turnover from my returns - fair enough, over £73k but bizaarely didn't then go on to cross check if I was registered and paying VAT which I have done since the day I started my company 3 years ago. Insert comments as applicable.

2. Had some back tax to pay on a 2009 following my tax code provided being wrong at the time.

I had a nice red wine that Monday night!!

Comment

This is what happens when you boil potatoes, mix them with a bit of butter and a splash of milk, add a dash of salt and pepper, and then cram them into the empty skull.

Poor old Hector. Most unfortunate.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Should have added more info, just self assessment. Girly works in a GP surgery and every partner (10 of them) has been hit with a reassessment which gives me the impression that they are just pulling figures out from a hat and firing off angry letters to all who self assess, but then again that is the impression I get in general from out beloved tax system. The figures for both of us seem to suggest a 1% cut of our before tax yearly income they want.

@wurzel Remembered that thread but not who posted it, searching this forum for tax is like going into a sweet shop and asking if they have anything with sugar in it. Was the first thing I thought of when I read the letter.

Girlie's acountants (grant thornton, so a big hitter in the book cooking industry) have told them they will deal with it but 2 of them have already paid up, facelpalm image needed.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Perhaps the term "Tax Rebels'" would be more fitting ?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Here you go:

Oooo.

I didn't know we had:nazi:
                Is that : PrinceHarry : ?

Comment

Had one a while back that said "We have not included our telephone number on this letter because we are simply expecting you to pay and we have provided it to you in earlier letters" needless to say they hadn't sent anything prior. When I eventually managed to hunt down a phone number I mentioned to the lady on the other end that it seemed a trifle nasty and she said "that's payments, nothing to do with us" other than you all work for Hector, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Had one a while back that said "We have not included our telephone number on this letter because we are simply expecting you to pay and we have provided it to you in earlier letters" needless to say they hadn't sent anything prior. When I eventually managed to hunt down a phone number I mentioned to the lady on the other end that it seemed a trifle nasty and she said "that's payments, nothing to do with us" other than you all work for Hector, that is.

I suppose you will all be on this now.....

There were lots of people on it last year complaining about HMRC.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X