• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help! ccsvchst.exe is killing my machine!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I think the Windows 7 firewall does that too. It has outbound rules that by default block programs/services unless you specify otherwise. A warning appears if something attempts to make an outbound call
    Yep, although I didn't realise that wasn't in XP too. If you install a game you sometimes get a popup when you try to play online the first time, etc.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Get a mac

HTHBISID
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        Get a mac
        And if you do get a Mac, don't run Norton on it.

(I don't know if it is still sold, but a few years ago I saws lots of reports that Norton for Mac was a resource hog)
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Zone alarm stops outbound vectors so rogue processes can't dial home with your details. A router firewall only blocks inbound.
          I guess it works fine, I've not had a virus since using it (admitedly the paid version though) for years
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I remember reading an article a few years ago in one of the computer magazines where they did a test for how true it was that the internet was awash with nasties trying to infect your home computer via an unsecured internet connection.

I think they had the PC connected to an unsecure connection for less that a day before they had all sorts of infections uploaded to it.

Of course, this could have been a stunt, or they could have been using the office network whose IP address is probably well known to the hacker community.

Maybe the story had 'advertisement for Zone Alarm' at the top.

Moral of the story: There's free protection available (usually out of the box) so may as well use it, as long as it doesn't hog too many resources.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I remember reading an article a few years ago in one of the computer magazines where they did a test for how true it was that the internet was awash with nasties trying to infect your home computer via an unsecured internet connection.

I think they had the PC connected to an unsecure connection for less that a day before they had all sorts of infections uploaded to it.
              I recall around the end of 2004 I helped a friend with a USB modem internet connection (which had no firewall) reinstall XP. By the time you had connected, mdownloaded and started installing updates, SP2 and anti-virus software it was infected i.e. within minutes of connecting. In the end I had to download XP SP2 and AVG from elsewhere and install offline in order to get the PC well protected enough before connecting.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                Get a mac

HTHBISID
                Hope That Helps But I See I'm Dyslexic...?

Comment

Of course, this could have been a stunt, or they could have been using the office network whose IP address is probably well known to the hacker community.

Maybe the story had 'advertisement for Zone Alarm' at the top.

Moral of the story: There's free protection available (usually out of the box) so may as well use it, as long as it doesn't hog too many resources.
                  Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  I recall around the end of 2004 I helped a friend with a USB modem internet connection (which had no firewall) reinstall XP. By the time you had connected, mdownloaded and started installing updates, SP2 and anti-virus software it was infected i.e. within minutes of connecting. In the end I had to download XP SP2 and AVG from elsewhere and install offline in order to get the PC well protected enough before connecting.
                  SANS run a (semi) real time survival time chart tracking the time between connecting to the internet and the first attempted connection from a malicous source. Asuming an unpatched system the first attempt will almost certainly result in infection of the target. It generally hovers somwehere around 10 minutes.

SANS Survival Time Chart
                  Last edited by DaveB; 11 July 2011, 13:21.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    It generally hovers somwehere around 10 minutes.

Maybe ISPs should concentrate on filtering out this stuff at source. Every PC or hosted server has to connect to the internet somewhere, so first port of call should be firewalled against the scum.

Why should those at the end of the chain have to protect against those at the beginning?
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Maybe ISPs should concentrate on filtering out this stuff at source. Every PC or hosted server has to connect to the internet somewhere, so first port of call should be firewalled against the scum.

Why should those at the end of the chain have to protect against those at the beginning?
                      A firewall that prevents outgoing connections is protecting the beginning of the chain.

ISPs randomly preventing people connecting to the net would break loads of legitimate things and probably not work. Even with deep packet inspection it would be trivial for malware writers to circumvent with encryption or steganography.
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X