• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is comms so f***ing hard?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    The only problem is the lack of Windows resources - remember that problem? You can only have so many applications open at a time.
    It was even worse on Windows 3.x - you could only have so many "windows" per application, and remember, every control is a "window".

One of the first web apps I worked on back in 1997 was a BT ordering system for ISDN-30 installations. The original specification of the form on which one configured the various options of the thirty lines needed about 300 checkboxes, but that was impossible on 16-bit Windows - the browser (whether Netscape Navigator 3 or IE3) would simply leave a third of the form empty, or possibly crash if you were trying to do something weird like run Word at the same time.

In the end I redesigned it to allow five different configurations allocated to ranges of lines, on the basis that 90% of the time all thirty lines were configured the same way, and there were seldom more than two or three different configurations for any given installation. If people needed any more options than that they could say so in the "Additional Information" box, and somebody at BT would have to phone them to get the details

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      Is it any wonder PC World does so well? Mr Joe Bloggs feels like this, whether it is the case or not, and PCW re-assures him all will be OK while quietly emptying his wallet.
      Until Mr Joe Bloggs eventually gets skilled up enough to realise he knows more than the spotty pre-pubescent Kandrs in PC World - which usually doesn't take long - and starts using independent IT shops.

Unfortunately, there's lots of new Mr Joe Bloggsies keeping PC World going.

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
      Except for the networking???
      Windows ME is fine. It is getting Windows <--> Linux working that is pissing me off.

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
      This reminded me that I hadn't installed my new printer on my main (Ubuntu) desktop. Just sorted that problem - it was remarkably easy. And I've never installed a printer on Ubuntu before.
      Indeed. Installing a printer locally is a piece of piss for any user to boast about.

Now network it. Onto a different operating system.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Can't be bothered to read the thread.

You are all tulip. Any half decent contractor will get any computer to talk to any other computer in a matter of minutes. That is (one of the reasons) why we are paid what we are paid.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          Can't be bothered to read the thread.
          Can't be bothered to read your response.

Your avatar is the dead cat you shag for relaxation.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Indeed. Installing a printer locally is a piece of piss for any user to boast about.

Now network it. Onto a different operating system.
            Even Eric Raymond can't do it, so what hope do we lesser mortals have?

(See also John Gruber's response, Ronco Spray-On Usability)

Comment

Until Mr Joe Bloggs eventually gets skilled up enough to realise he knows more than the spotty pre-pubescent Kandrs in PC World - which usually doesn't take long - and starts using independent IT shops.
              I would bet my life that even the dim wits at PC world can connect computers together and realise that Windows ME was one of the worst operating systems ever to be sold. Anyway it's clear from your posts that you have significant problems other than having the technical proficiency of my 89 year old great aunt Hilda.

Oh and before you reply check out your poll, looks like most people agree with me.

Last edited by kandr; 5 December 2010, 00:29.

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                I would bet my life that even the dim wits at PC world can connect computers together and realise that Windows ME was one of the worst operating systems ever to be sold. Anyway it's clear from your posts that you have significant problems other than having the technical proficiency of my 89 year old great aunt Hilda.
                I am sorry I was nice to you for your first few hundred posts. I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Now I know you are an aspiring knob-to-be.

When you have a positive contribution to add, please feel free to return and do so. In the meantime, finish your GCSEs, free-to-pass A levels, degree-for-cash and then see if you can get a more-than-minimum wage job before posting on here again, you unwashed pimply youth.

Comment

I have more of a problem stopping them connecting. My computers **** and make babies when I leave the house. Some days I come home and there are 4 or 5 pocket calculators and I'm running out of batteries to feed them.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I am sorry I was nice to you for your first few hundred posts. I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Now I know you are an aspiring knob-to-be.

When you have a positive contribution to add, please feel free to return and do so. In the meantime, finish your GCSEs, free-to-pass A levels, degree-for-cash and then see if you can get a more-than-minimum wage job before posting on here again, you unwashed pimply youth.
                    Great points, all relative to the discussion, for a moment there I thought you were a complete moron and your only form of debate was ad hominem attacks!

I needn't debate further your posts are proof enough of your intellect.

Comment

Originally posted by kandr View Post
                      Great points, all relative to the discussion, for a moment there I thought you were a complete moron and your only form of debate was ad hominem attacks!

I needn't debate further your posts are proof enough of your intellect.

I love the way you can switch between pretending to be a naïve newbie and an experienced CUK sockpuppet.

But you did it once too often for me with your reference to "growing some stones" or some such in an aggressive post a day or two ago. And then you forgot you are not supposed to have a 100% grasp of spelling and grammar, for example your post above.

Your posts have been 90%+ offensive to other posters and of no positive value to CUK at all. You have contributed nothing other than jibes and snipes.

F**k off and die, you vacuous tissue of an entity. Seriously.

If I'm not allowed to use sockpuppets any more - which I am not - then I fail to see why you should continue to exist.

Comment

Working...
                      X