• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are BT any good to contract for.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are BT any good to contract for.

got a call from my pimp today with a contract for BT, 6 months which is good timing for my summer hols. Its in the westend somewhere but not sure where yet.
    Are BT any good to contract for - I know a lots of ex BT engineers, but don't know anyone who is currently working for them.
    TIA
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

It's an easy ride, but poor money and complete fcukwits for colleagues.

Comment

BT = Bahindra Telecom = Goodness Gracious Me.

Pay is rock bottom, as is quality of staff, morale, projects, technology and prospects.

Stacking shelves at ASDA looks attractive in comparison.

You have been warned.

Comment

the job I may go for is paying OK not $$$ but not !!@& - anyone working there at the moment - there can't be too many West End offices.
        SA says;
        Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
        (whatever these are)

Comment

I did some work at the office on High Holborn.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
            BT = Bahindra Telecom = Goodness Gracious Me.

Pay is rock bottom, as is quality of staff, morale, projects, technology and prospects.

Stacking shelves at ASDA looks attractive in comparison.

You have been warned.
            All true, also, they are quite ruthless in terminating people. I saw numerous people walked out of the door - sometimes justified and often not.

Comment

Getting anything done is virtually impossible. The permies don't want to know and either can't help or are so paralysed by bureaucracy everything takes forever. Most staff have been there for 20+ years and are only interested in when the next early retirement package comes along.

In the end, I turned down a renewal as I couldn't stand it any more. However, it is perfectly possible for a contractor to be there for 10 years if you just stay quiet and in the corner, and grap hold of some obscure interface no one else knows anything about.

Overall: easy work, sh1t rates, useless demotivated colleagues, ultimately frustrating.

Comment

so true.

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                Getting anything done is virtually impossible. The permies don't want to know and either can't help or are so paralysed by bureaucracy everything takes forever. Most staff have been there for 20+ years and are only interested in when the next early retirement package comes along.

..... However, it is perfectly possible for a contractor to be there for 10 years if you just stay quiet and in the corner, and grap hold of some obscure interface no one else knows anything about.

Overall: easy work, sh1t rates, useless demotivated colleagues, ultimately frustrating.
                succinct summary, of course you may get offshored any time around April (or next budget deadline) so make sure you are ready for it.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Is BT all that bad? I heard the money wasn't that bad although not a lot of work being done

Comment

I have to say.... I know someone who's been there a short time and I shout out a "here here" to all the previous comments: Inept, demotivated, unprofessional etc etc.....
                    From what I hear, it's not what you know or your capabilities it's how much testosterone you exude and what click you're in......

Comment

Working...
                    X