• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NYC granny shoots mugger with .357 Magnum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYC granny shoots mugger with .357 Magnum

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/31/dirty_harriet/

A wheelchair-bound but hardly defenceless Harlem granny is being sued for $5m after popping a .357 Magnum cap into an alleged mugger, the New York Post reports.

Margaret Johnson, 59, described as "a retired city bus driver who has a dislocated hip and a ruptured disc", was sitting in her motorised mobility scooter in September 2006 when Deron Johnson, 48, "tried to snatch her purse and gold chain".

This turned out to be a bad move, since Ms Johnson's grandfather was Harlem crime boss Ellsworth “Bumpy” Johnson, a no-messing-about character who once battled with fellow gangster Dutch Shultz for control of the Harlem numbers racket.

She said of grandpa, immortalised as Bumpy Jonas in the 1971 blaxploitation classic Shaft: "He raised me like his daughter. I wanted to be just like Daddy. It made me a strong woman."

To prove the point, she shot the would-be robber in his left elbow, and he was quickly detained by cops. He was acquitted at trial, however, after claiming in his defence that he'd simply kicked his alleged victim's Shih Tzu, (named Malika, for the record), after it attacked him - an act of self-defence which provoked granny to whip out her piece.

Mr Johnson is, as is the local custom, now suing granny and her apartment block landlord for the aforementioned five million bucks. His lawyer, Craig Davidowitz, claims he's "suffered permanent nerve damage from the shooting".

The landlord, meanwhile, is being taken to task for allowing Dirty Harriet to roam free with her personal arsenal of crime-busting firepower. He demanded: "What's grandma doing walking the streets with a loaded gun? They should have known they had a tenant walking around with a loaded weapon."

Margaret Johnson, though, is having none of it. She sensationally explained to the New York Post: "I'm a peaceful person. I wish that I had killed him. I didn't think you had to pay to get mugged in New York City."

She stressed: "I'm not spending a dime on that son-of-a-bitch. This boils my blood. Why is he picking on me again?"

The New York Post notes that grandma has a penchant for firearms and "once owned an Uzi submachine gun". She said of her current weapon of choice, the .357 Magnum: "I love that gun. It's so powerful. I don't know too many women who can handle that gun. I almost fell on my butt when I first fired it." ®
    Bootnote

Just to further demonstrate what a very bad idea it was for Deron Johnson to mess with Margaret, the New York Post has a snap of her proudly posing with her Uzi.

And yes, we know Dirty Harry carried a .44 Magnum, but we reckon it's unreasonable to expect a wheelchair-confined 59-year-old to handle that kind of firepower.

----

Love this story

Well isn't the law in the US that you can take any force necessary to make sure someone doesn't get a change to commit a crime? Lunatics, the lot of 'em...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I bet that case will never get to court. That women is bound to be connected. the would be mugger and his lawyer will be found floating in the Hudson.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        If she'd been in Texas, they'd have given her a medal...

Plus, if you shoot them stone dead, they then find it difficult to sue you...
        Yep - and I heard that the police give advice (unofficial of course) to do just that - make sure you kill them

Comment

Where she went wrong is, she didnt say................

"I know what you're thinking. Did she fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell ya the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .357 Magnum, one of the most powerful handguns in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?"

.............and then shot the bastard!
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Fired one of those, after 12 rounds my arm was almost numb so she must have a fair bit of strength in her.

Comment

It was Federal, by the way... (the 44 Mag load that was a little bit too hot).

Did anyone watch Wicker last night?

There was an elderly lady (she was elderly 30 years ago so she's pushing up daisies by now) who ran a liquor store in LA.

White guy comes in one evening, asks for ciggies & pulls a luger on her.

Old lady crouches down behind counter, pulls out an ancient 38/44 S&W & shoots him between the eyes.

Punk goes down & little old lady finishes him off with a 2nd one to the throat.

She complained that the money that she took back off him was blood stained...

She never used more than 2 shots... (he wasn't the only one... ).

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

Punk goes down & little old lady finishes him off with a 2nd one to the throat.
                Little old lady - I just shot someone who tried to rob me. I think I killed him
                Police operator - Make sure that he's dead
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by crimdon View Post
                  I bet that case will never get to court. That women is bound to be connected. the would be mugger and his lawyer will be found floating in the Hudson.
                  Well she's pushing up daisies herself now.

'Bumpy' Johnson's granddaughter, Margaret Johnson, dead at 66 - NY Daily News

Comment

Surf Nazis Must Die (1987) - IMDb

Comment

Working...
                    X