• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This'll be a mess: Minimum buy to fight fuel panic

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just topped mine up after the long journey down south. Last night my local petrol station was busier than normal. And today, all the petrol stations I passed had queues. Not out onto the road, but more than you would expect for the middle of a monday morning. Al least mine us full up so I can at least get home on Friday.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Hi, I'm a Londoner. How are you guys? Can you please explain a few things to me: what is a "car"? What is this "petrol" thing people keep banging on about? Why is the price of "fuel" so important? Don't understand what this fuss is all about.
      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

It’s all right Rebecca. Being a woman you don’t need to worry yourself about these things. Cars are too complex for women to understand, and current affairs is a subject you should just leave to the men.

Now run along and make us all a nice cup of tea. There’s a good girl.

Comment

I am glad I am not missing something very important. Must be slow news month this month as many papers are full of this silly topic. Frankly, who cares? Well, maybe it is important for people out in the countryside, beyond the M25 and zone 6, but there can't be that many of them, and they don't count much.
          Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            OwlHoot: But I thought most people only put in a £10 or £20 worth. Not many, apart from long distance commuters actually fill their tank. So these people will actually end up buying more petrol if they have to buy a minimum of £25 ...
            You're right I guess - Decreasing the granularity of petrol purchases would only have a marginal effect keeping average tank levels down from the maximum (although there'll be a one-off dip anyway if everyone panics and fills their tank to start with).

I guess the reason is much more, if not entirely, to decrease the number of fill ups and thus congestion in petrol stations.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

OwLHoot: I think you may be on to something there with "reduce the queues at the forecourts" that way the media won't be able to put pictures of massive queues on the TV.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Well if everybody drove around with only a quarter tank of fuel, and that half ton of cr@p removed from the boot, then they'd probably get another 10 mpg from their journeys anyway.

And the thought that they're low on fuel and that garages might fail them, would lead to another 15 mpg saving.

Comment

Got back an hour ago from a short drive to supermarket -- can't remember ever so many people queuing for petrol on monday night.

Comment

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...777611,00.html

"The AA Motoring Trust said: “The problem with panic buying is that it destroys the whole finely balanced system between refineries, forecourts and cars. It creates an artificial shortage.” ",

this is interesting, finely balanced, or JUST IN TIME inventory management ?

I have often wondered if Just In Time inventory management across food and other industries won't become a sword in the back in the time of a crisis ?

Milan.

Comment

from the same article, this is reassuring:

"Chris Hunt, the directorgeneral of the UK Petroleum Industry Association, said: “We are trying to run refineries flat out at the moment to meet the shortfalls caused by world demand. We have a strategic reserve of 80 days.”
                      "

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X