• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    For books that I really like though I always want my own copy, either for re-reading, referring back to etc. A wood-pannelled library with wall to wall books, leather loungers, a snooker table and some good quality port are what is required...one day.
    You're missing the Swedish au pair, otherwise perfecto.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. For the second time. Possibly the finest non-fiction book of recent times.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    “Stories of the Law and How It's Broken”

By The Secret Barrister....
    Not quite a legal text book, but it’s made of text (and paper), and about the law....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Is this really the most recent Currently Reading thread?

Three Body Problem, by Liu Cixin - seriously hard science fiction, set in China.

Leave a comment:

• Charles Foster Kane
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Public Libraries are an excellent feature of British life - I often visit after a day on the collective farm, at closing times the cheerful Librarians can be heard singing that inspiring ditty Forward United Kingdom - collective responsibilites we enjoy.
    I love the library. We have our own Rain Man - if people stay on the PC's longer than 30 minutes he can be seen freaking out on them...

...He is the autistic law (of the library).

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by HeliCraig View Post
    The credit crunch (read: my being a tight wod) has induced my first visit to a public library since leaving school; I feel guilty spending £15 on a book I shall read only once when the local library has one available!!

Public Libraries are an excellent feature of British life - I often visit after a day on the collective farm, at closing times the cheerful Librarians can be heard singing that inspiring ditty Forward United Kingdom - collective responsibilites we enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    Ronnie - by Ronnie Wood

and

As You Do: Adventures With Evel, Oliver, and The Vice-President Of Botswana: Adventures with Evel, Oliver, and the Vice-President of Botswana
    by Richard Hammond

bit of Top Gear theme going on

next on the list Parkinson autobiography
    Parkinson? He's crap. Stopped being owt good in the 70s.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Ronnie - by Ronnie Wood

and

As You Do: Adventures With Evel, Oliver, and The Vice-President Of Botswana: Adventures with Evel, Oliver, and the Vice-President of Botswana
    by Richard Hammond

bit of Top Gear theme going on

next on the list Parkinson autobiography

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    I have been assured that I am seldom 'fashionable'
    There is only one thing worse that not being fashionable - and that is - being fashionable.

He's a dedicated follower of Fashion

Leave a comment:

• HeliCraig
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Well the big fashion trend now is Nationalisation - so the collective spirit means we should reject such bourgeoise concepts as private bookstores and spend our time in the public reading libraries instead.
    The credit crunch (read: my being a tight wod) has induced my first visit to a public library since leaving school; I feel guilty spending £15 on a book I shall read only once when the local library has one available!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X