• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Currently redoing the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan on book 5 of 13

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    BYTE : Programmer's Cookbook - DOS

Rescued from a lab clearout. Mode X.... Mmmmmmmm

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    I'm currently plowing my way through REAMDE <again> to refresh my memory before i tackle FALL.
    I do like Neal Stephenson's books.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    CJ Sansom - Shardlake series

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. For the second time. Possibly the finest non-fiction book of recent times.
    To be followed by "Dark Sun" by Richard Rhodes, being a tale of how the super got made when Teller's ideas didn't work.

"The Mitrokhin Archive", being a tale of KGB naughtiness.

"Hitler's Spy Chief" (i.e. Admiral Canaris).

"A Bright Shining Lie" being a history of the Vietnam War and how the Septics fecked it up.

"The Mighty Micro" being a future history of the present as predicted by a chap in 1978 (also a tv series of the same name which might be found on youtube).

"Silicon Civilisation" being a 1980 book about the early years of semiconductors and the microprocessor, it seems like a very very very long time ago now, being pre IBM PC & XT.

Not forgetting "Lady Death: the memoirs of Stalin's Sniper". Like it says. She was at the siege of Stalingrad.

Oh, how this thread brings back memories of a different, happier time, when the forum was infested with Daleks and assorted other aliens and no one had heard of the B word.

Long long ago, and far far away, they did things differently then.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 10 October 2019, 07:50.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    “Stories of the Law and How It's Broken”

By The Secret Barrister....
    Not quite a legal text book, but it’s made of text (and paper), and about the law....
    That was a really good book.

I have the flu so have been reading post apocalyptic trash:

The Last by Hanna Jameson - set in a Swiss Hotel immediately after nuclear war

Last ones left alive by Sarah Davis-Goff - set in Ireland a generation or so after a zombie apocalypse.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    For books that I really like though I always want my own copy, either for re-reading, referring back to etc. A wood-pannelled library with wall to wall books, leather loungers, a snooker table and some good quality port are what is required...one day.
    You're missing the Swedish au pair, otherwise perfecto.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. For the second time. Possibly the finest non-fiction book of recent times.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    “Stories of the Law and How It's Broken”

By The Secret Barrister....
    Not quite a legal text book, but it’s made of text (and paper), and about the law....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Is this really the most recent Currently Reading thread?

Three Body Problem, by Liu Cixin - seriously hard science fiction, set in China.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X