• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    As we seem to share a taste in books, you may like (on a different theme) Tracy Kidder's "The Soul of a New Machine".
    Read that about 15 years ago, it's on a shelf in here somewhere.

The craziness of that sort of design and development organisation is quite graphic.

No wonder people get burned out.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    To be followed by "Dark Sun" by Richard Rhodes, being a tale of how the super got made when Teller's ideas didn't work.
    Funnily enough that's why I'm re-reading TMOTAB, to get the background (which I'd forgotten) to get on to this one, which I haven't read

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    "A Bright Shining Lie" being a history of the Vietnam War and how the Septics fecked it up.
    Read this 25 years ago. One of the best disections of the Vietnam War. But bought Max Hastings' "Vietnam" and have that lined up. That may be better. Pater got from Tesco for £4 and sent in to me a few months ago (I miss cheap books).

As we seem to share a taste in books, you may like (on a different theme) Tracy Kidder's "The Soul of a New Machine".

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Is it worth starting on the series? I looked at the amazon reviews for the first book and mixed between awful and great.
    well you won't know if it's for you until you try.
    do you only want to read stuff that's popular / trendy ?
    why bother?
    Last edited by BR14; 10 October 2019, 18:40.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    Roumeli: Travels in Northern Greece by Patrick Leigh Fermor

I read his trilogy (A Time of Gifts, Between the Woods and the Water, The Broken Road) which cover him walking from Holland to Istanbul as an 18 year old in 1933. If you have never read anything by him try A Time of Gifts. His writing is incredible.
    Yes I have those in my collection. Read twice. Although his biographers claim he made some of it up, it's serious literature, nevertheless.
    Passages from the first one in particualr linger in the memory

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    Roumeli: Travels in Northern Greece by Patrick Leigh Fermor

I read his trilogy (A Time of Gifts, Between the Woods and the Water, The Broken Road) which cover him walking from Holland to Istanbul as an 18 year old in 1933. If you have never read anything by him try A Time of Gifts. His writing is incredible.
    Last edited by Uncle Albert; 10 October 2019, 16:44.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I'm not really into fantasy stuff, but anything by Mark Lawrence is worth reading, especially the Prince, Emperor, King etc of thorns.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Currently redoing the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan on book 5 of 13
    Is it worth starting on the series? I looked at the amazon reviews for the first book and mixed between awful and great.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Good book - as are the other 2 in the series.

Currently reading Immortal by Nick lloyd...

Although I have kindle unlimited so generally plenty of choice but not so many new ones.
    Going to try immortal on my kindle unlimited, ta.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    I'm currently plowing my way through REAMDE <again> to refresh my memory before i tackle FALL.
    I do like Neal Stephenson's books.
    great book. Must get Fall.....

Seven Eves is also good and apparently they're making a film of it.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    This was a real eye-opener for me. For my 50th birthday some years ago a present to myself was to have a private tour of the Uffizi gallery from a local expert on Italian Renaissance Art. We had a long discussion about symbolism in medieval paintings. It sounds boring but it really wasn't. To summarise; there were no newspapers and most people couldn't read. One of the primary ways of passing messages on to the general population was through paintings and sculpture - symbolism in art, whether it was in the Church or elsewhere. We looked at many paintings and I was amazed by the number of messages that were in plain sight once you started to look closely (aided by the local expert naturally). This included subversive, religious and political messages - and also sight gags. Fascinating.
    That was money well spent, having some knowledge of what's happening certainly makes for more interesting viewing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X