• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GreenT
    replied
    Bulltulip Jobs: A Theory, by David Graeber

Funny, sad, enlightening. A must read for any new graduate trainee.
    Last edited by GreenT; 24 June 2020, 18:58.

Leave a comment:

• ResistanceFighter
    replied
    Quite enjoyed the Salisbury Poisonings drama on the bbc last week, so I picked up The Skripal Files: The full story behind the Salisbury Poisonings by Mark Urban.
    A bit dry in places as it's very detailed with the names/history etc of everybody involved but I'm enjoying it

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I'm reading Why Women are Blamed for Everything: Exploring the Victim Blaming of Women Subjected to Violence and Trauma.

Written by a radical feminist (I'm more of a liberal feminist myself) it takes a no-holds-barred look at how women who have been subject to violence at the hands of men are treated. Some of the real-world examples have been very eye opening.

She asked for it. She was flirting. She was drinking. She was wearing a revealing dress. She was too confident. She walked home alone. She stayed in that relationship. She was naïve. She didn't report soon enough. She didn't fight back. She wanted it. She lied about it. She comes from a bad area. She was vulnerable. She should have known.

Victim blaming of women is prevalent and normalised in society.

What causes us to blame women who have been abused, raped, trafficked, assaulted or harassed by men? Why are we uncomfortable with placing all of the blame on perpetrators for their crimes against women?
    Last edited by ladymuck; 23 June 2020, 13:03.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Having finished Mr Danziger's journal of journeys through the underclass in the 1990s, now on to "Poisoned Peace: 1945 - the war that never ended" by Gregor Dallas, one of the early boomers.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Do you have a link as I can't find it? I've read Penguin's "Essays".
    The War Commentaries: Amazon.co.uk: Orwell, George, West, W.J.: 9780563203490: Books

Not to be confused with the War Broadcasts, which I wouldn't recommend particularly. I would suggest you read the Commentaries alongside the Lion and the Unicorn, although IIRC that is a collection of three essays which you may already have in your Penguin collection.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Have you read his War Commentaries (BBC broadcasts to India)?
    Do you have a link as I can't find it? I've read Penguin's "Essays".

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    "The Complex" by Nick Turse.

That being the Military Industrial Complex or How I stopped worrying and learned to love the bomb.
    Much too upbeat, now reading "Danziger's Britain: a journey to the edge".

Danziger’s Britain: A Journey to the Edge: Amazon.co.uk: Danziger, Nick: 9780006382492: Books

It must be said that Mr Danziger's book is a good deal more inneresting and easy to read than the rather tedious Complex offering.

Its detailing of the doings of the underclass back in the mid 90s is illuminating of the way the deindustrialisation of the UK affected things.

We have so much to thank Thatcher & her merry men for.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 June 2020, 12:46.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Thanks, I’ll get round to all of them. Don’t think I could do 2 impoverished books in a row. I’ll probably alternate them with the Ian Fleming Bond series.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Sounds like a good alternation.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Apart for the obvious Animal Farm and 1984, I would suggest next:

Clergyman's Daughter if you want something in a similar impoverished middle class vein to Aspidistra

Coming up for Air if you want a really well-written novel (Still downbeat so you own't miss out)

Homage to Catalonia, if you like autobiography - and it's excellent.

Lion and the Unicorn for essays written with a leftist patriotic WW2 tone. He is a very good essayist.
    Thanks, I’ll get round to all of them. Don’t think I could do 2 impoverished books in a row. I’ll probably alternate them with the Ian Fleming Bond series.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Aspidistra is only my 2nd Orwell after Burmese Days. I’ll probably read them all now

Apart for the obvious Animal Farm and 1984, I would suggest next:

Clergyman's Daughter if you want something in a similar impoverished middle class vein to Aspidistra

Coming up for Air if you want a really well-written novel (Still downbeat so you own't miss out)

Homage to Catalonia, if you like autobiography - and it's excellent.

Lion and the Unicorn for essays written with a leftist patriotic WW2 tone. He is a very good essayist.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X