• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am currently ploughing through a bunch of Peter May novels. Started with the Lewis trilogy and have just kept going. Good thriller writer.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      'Vacuum Flowers' by Michael Swanwick

a cyberpunk author i somehow missed.
      now rectifying that
      That sounds interesting, will look out for it

Comment

'Vacuum Flowers' by Michael Swanwick

a cyberpunk author i somehow missed.
        now rectifying that
        Do you like Jeff Noon? Vurt is one of my favourite books. Must give it another read.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Do you like Jeff Noon? Vurt is one of my favourite books. Must give it another read.
          missed him, too.
          just started vurt, pretty cool so far.............

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            That sounds interesting, will look out for it
            well worth a read IMHO

Comment

missed him, too.
              just started vurt, pretty cool so far.............
              The sequels are a bit so-so. Worth a read probably, but not the same calibre as Vurt.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                "A few selected exits" Gwyn Thomas, he of the long ago HTV documentaries.
                Now finished.

And here's Gwyn Thomas in a long ago documentary showing the upper Vale of Neath:

The bit where the gunpowder works used to be, and the silica mines that were used to make bricks that were famous around the world.

Apparently the gunpowder works didn't make powder for guns, rather it produced mining explosives.

Glad we've cleared that up, like.

Next up: "The former Miss Merthyr Tydfil and other stories" by Alun Richards (1976).

Not finding some of this particular book overly gripping.

<hiatus on the hiatus>

Hard graft some of this.

Never mind, it sends me to sleep quite successfully, I get bored with one short story, hop off to another, get bored with that, and go to sleep.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 January 2021, 12:48.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Just started re-reading The Night Watch by Sergey Lukyanenko.

I read the original trilogy years ago and the fourth one that came along. I then picked up the fifth and sixth books but never read them (my Mum did at the time and she rather enjoyed them). Whilst I'm sure I don't really need to refamiliarise myself with the back story to appreciate books five and six, I felt I'd get more out of it if I did.

Comment

A Song of Ice and Fire series. I’ve been saving it for the January lockdown.

Comment

Tom Allen - no shame. Hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                      X