• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday's epic was "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson.

Today's book is "The Cryotron Files" by Iain Dey & Douglas Buck, being the tale of an electrical engineer who was working on low temperature (Liquid He) integrated circuits.

In 1959!

Book interview: Iain Dey, ‘The Cryotron Files’ | E&ampT Magazine

I find the writing strangely irritating.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 1 May 2020, 11:55.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Currently reading "Nuking the moon and other intelligence schemes and military plots best left on the drawing board" by Vince Houghton which amusing enough in a nutty sort of way.

Doesn't seem to mention the Mach 3 nuclear ramjet though, which is disappointing.

Project Pluto - Wikipedia

Comment

I have been reading the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer so you don't have to. Really, don't. I have no idea why people think it's creepy and spooky or whatever else they've tried to sell it as. Stephen King must have been paid to endorse it or his taste in reading matter is suspect.

Why the first book, Annihilation, was made into a film I don't know. I haven't seen it and I don't want to.

Tedious drivel. Avoid.

Comment

"Them" by Jon Ronson, being the story of the GALs, the NWO, The Bilderberg Group, and including that fine example of Septic Law "Enforcement" by the Feebs, the BATF, the US Marshals, et al, at Ruby Ridge and Waco.

Or how you get to shoot an unarmed woman carrying a baby throught the head and get away with it.

To whit, this piece of tulipe:

Lon Horiuchi - Wikipedia

Oh, and David "Banned from FB and Youtube" Icke features in the book too.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
            "Them" by Jon Ronson, being the story of the GALs, the NWO, The Bilderberg Group, and including that fine example of Septic Law "Enforcement" by the Feebs, the BATF, the US Marshals, et al, at Ruby Ridge and Waco.

Or how you get to shoot an unarmed woman carrying a baby throught the head and get away with it.

To whit, this piece of tulipe:

Lon Horiuchi - Wikipedia

Oh, and David "Banned from FB and Youtube" Icke features in the book too.
            I've read a few books by Jon Ronson. I like his style although I hate the sound of his voice. He gave a talk once at a literary festival about his book at the time, So You've Been Publicly Shamed, which was a good talk and a good book but I wish he'd had a voice actor

Comment

Now on to "1983: World at the Brink" by Taylor Downing, being the tale of how we yet again managed to avoid Global Thermonuclear War (the only way to Win is Not To Play) so we survived to be decimated by a fecking bat virus.

Which, if this one doesn't achieve results, the fecking next one will.

It's being so cheerul that keeps me going.

Comment

Now on to "1983: World at the Brink" by Taylor Downing, being the tale of how we yet again managed to avoid Global Thermonuclear War (the only way to Win is Not To Play) so we survived to be decimated by a fecking bat virus.

Which, if this one doesn't achieve results, the fecking next one will.

It's being so cheerul that keeps me going.
                0.03% is 'decimated'?

Comment

rereading the polity books by charles stross.
                  6 volumes in now.
                  i'd forgotten most of it, so enjoying it very much.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    0.03% is 'decimated'?
                    That's just up til now.

I'm sure that GAL has his claws in it somewhere.

And The Master.

Possibly The Daleks.

Comment

That's just up til now.

I'm sure that GAL has his claws in it somewhere.

And The Master.

Possibly The Daleks.
                      and the Prador
                      and the Mekon
                      and skynet.
                      and galactus
                      and...................

Comment

Working...
                      X