• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Book Club: Currently reading...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    ...It never dawned on her that she ought to actually read the book first. Have you? It's full of tragedy, interpersonal relationships, love, hate and girly stuff like parties and jewellery and pretty clothes. You might like it.
    i like the quote from the times on the back cover of some editions: the world is divided into two people - those who have read lord of the rings and those who are going to. or something like that. lotr is an astonishing piece of work.

Comment

Die Lustiges Taschenbuch.

Very good for learning german and not being bored too much.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Don't you all find books expensive now? £7 for a paperback!

I find I am now reading things I pick up from the charity shops.

An autobiography of Kurt Cobain was my latest.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
          I thought they had been around that price for ages unless you buy a 2 for 1 or something

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            I can't wait until I've got to the end of mine. Already I have seen Spot run and seen Dick throw the ball to Spot. I wanted to see if spot could catch the ball but it was late and I had to go to bed.
            He caught it - the little bloody scamp caught the ball. Although the picture did give it away. My next one is a story about a caterpiller that is hungry.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              He caught it - the little bloody scamp caught the ball. Although the picture did give it away. My next one is a story about a caterpiller that is hungry.
              Careful, I think you may be about to offend Snaw

Comment

Sovereign - CJ Sansom. Would recommend it.

Comment

I was reading Peppa pig last night.

Until the 3 year old granddaughter fell asleep
                  Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
                    A quick glance at my Amazon order history over the last six months suggests that I pay between £5 and £40 for books across a wide variety of genres. Off the top of my head, I'd guess that I'm happy to pay £7 - £12 for a book that might be of interest to a wide audience, and have no qualms about paying much more for a good technical tome - particularly if I know the author personally, and therefore have a good idea of the likely quality of the work.

I also have no regrets about paying full retail price for this one

Of course many of those books I bought were at Amazon discount prices, but I still find that, for my mix of technical and general interest books, the average price seems fair, given the amount of work the author and/or editor had to put into making it.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      A quick glance at my Amazon order history over the last six months suggests that I pay between £5 and £40 for books across a wide variety of genres. Off the top of my head, I'd guess that I'm happy to pay £7 - £12 for a book that might be of interest to a wide audience, and have no qualms about paying much more for a good technical tome - particularly if I know the author personally, and therefore have a good idea of the likely quality of the work.

I also have no regrets about paying full retail price for this one

Of course many of those books I bought were at Amazon discount prices, but I still find that, for my mix of technical and general interest books, the average price seems fair, given the amount of work the author and/or editor had to put into making it.

Soemtimes I visit a bookshop and if I like the book will note the author and ISBN - take that to my local library and order it there for gratis - been doing this for quite some time.

Comment

Working...
                      X