• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And this is the greatest country in the world?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    Of course, it would have to be like in Escape From New York, not like the poor sequel Escape from LA.
    I would not say Escape from LA was _that_ bad -- it was not as good, but it was still okay.

Comment

Blacks target white Brits

The land of racial harmony. PC really works.
      Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
        Blacks target white Brits

The land of racial harmony. PC really works.
        Just what are you trying to say?
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I would just like to state the obvious by saying this cannot be racist. Only white people are racist.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 2 September 2005, 19:09.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by sappatz
            who got the bright idea to build a whole city under sea level ?
            Crazy I must admit, but as far as I remember most of the Netherlands sits just on or below sea level and it does just fine. Then again they don't have hurricanes...and likewise seem to have invested a heck of a lot more in flood protection, something New Orleans/the US didn't do.

Almost everything I've read so far suggests it did/would have escaped major damage, had it not been for the fact of the breeches in the two levees.

Comment

Originally posted by sappatz
              who got the bright idea to build a whole city under sea level ?
              New Orleans wasn't below sea level when it was built - Preventing the Mississippi from flooding all over it and dumping mud, like the Nile, has lowered its level over the years. Not quite sure how, but mostly just soil erosion I guess.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

In a first-world country though the number of deaths/damage is usually much, much lower due to better quality infrastructure, e.g. Kobe/Bam earthquakes were both of roughly equal size but while Kobe lost 'only' 5000, in the latter it wiped out 50%.

"The famous levees that were breached could have been strengthened and raised at what now seems like a trifling cost of a few billion dollars."

New Orleans crisis shames Americans

Comment

Lot of interesting questions will be raised when things calm down, like
                  A) why was red cross not allowed into new orleans
                  b) The main commander of the armed forces says troops were ready to enter from Monday, but could not do so without orders from the president (legally), so why was the order not given till much later
                  c)FEMA trucks with food and water were in louisiana by monday, why were they told to stop and not enter New Orleans till Thursdays/Friday (which coincidentally or maybe not timed with the arrival of bush)
                  d) Why is Bush still saying the disaster "could not be forseen" when a goverment report done within the last two years marked it as one of the top 3 most likely disasters to hit the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                    Just what are you trying to say?
                    What do you think I'm trying to say?
                    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Working...
                    X