• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boost for the economy: 1gbp / litre is coming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boost for the economy: 1gbp / litre is coming

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...759269,00.html

THE economic damage from Hurricane Katrina will soon be felt in Britain with petrol prices possibly soaring as high as £1 per litre.
    Flood-damaged American oil companies are expected to turn to European refineries for alternative supplies of road fuel, forcing up the price of petrol and diesel in Britain.

should help the economy no end

Milan.

Has anybody else had the circular about fuel protesting?

I dont circulate that kind of spam, but it seemed like a good idea and when I am in the UK I will go with it.

Basically it says by your fuel from anywhere EXCEPT BP and ESSO stations. If the big 2 are not getting any custom they will have to reduce prices and so everyone will follow suit.

I didnt write this so dont go pointing out all the loop holes in this theory.

It sounds like a good idea as a protest so lets do it.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

looks like it is a good time to get the train to work! £1 litre...
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      (whatever these are)

Comment

Of course, that will be a cue to the train operators to increase fares and cut services in order to "regulate the service" and "reduce demand at peak hours".

Plus, of course, it's ding-ding jackpot for Gordon Brown. All that lovely tax on tax flooding in with the increase in fuel prices. It's only fair you know.
        Last edited by Lucifer Box; 1 September 2005, 07:32.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
          Basically it says buy your fuel from anywhere EXCEPT BP and ESSO stations. If the big 2 are not getting any custom they will have to reduce prices and so everyone will follow suit.
          Wouldn't it be better to buy your fuel from anywhere EXCEPT the Treasury? If the big 1 is not getting any custom, it will have to reduce taxes.

No wait, I think I've spotted a flaw in that argument.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

"Plus, of course, it's ding-ding jackpot for Gordon Brown. All that lovely tax on tax flooding in with the increase in fuel prices. It's only fair you know."

Not forgetting that Brent Crude is at its highest price also. A double whammy there.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

it's gonna be a bumper Christmas for Tony and Gordon on the tax take !

Well I'm off to investigate bio diesel, there must be a feasible alternative to mineral diesel

Milan.

Comment

Milan: There are at least 2000 stations in Germany that supply BioDiesel from the pumps.

You can also make your own from old chip shop oil, a trick I know is used by one place. You know in at least one town they have to pay to get rid of it, so they'd be happy I guess if you were willing to take a few barrels off their hands.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                  Well I'm off to investigate bio diesel, there must be a feasible alternative to mineral diesel
                  You could go on a course at the CAT

Apparently, even if you pay the duty it's still cheaper than the real thing.

Comment

Threaded been running his Lambos on chip fat now? Or drinking the stuff by the looks of him.

Comment

Working...
                    X