• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boost for the economy: 1gbp / litre is coming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
    I don't think the increase will be passed on as much on derived products and services such as train tickets, Oyster cards etc than on straight petrol at the pump.
    Does the tube use petrol engines?
    What you think is neither here nor there. But if you ran a monoploy (a train network) and your fuel costs went up, whould you absorb the extra costs yourself or pass them on the the customer?

The tube uses electricary, which is never made using petroleum. I think it comes from lightening or somewhere.

Comment

Electricity comes from Power Stations which use gas, coal, wood, fuel oil, uranium, illegal immigrants etc
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

"I think it comes from lightening or somewhere. "

Don't be silly. Everybody knows that electrictrickery comes from an infinite number of hamsters on an infinite number or tradmills.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
          tradmills.
          Is that one of those devices where you keep running because you are scared of the Jazz band?
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Planetit - it's all very well to be aware of where the energy sources come from in products and services we buy, as well as being aware that petrol forms part of the cost of everything, BUT: if my Oyster card costs, say, £96 a month, I cannot see it being increased instantly to the same degree that petrol prices have increased at the pump. So while the motorists in rural (i.e. not London) england are instantly affected, me, I am not. I bet that my monthly ticket will be the same price this month as it was last month. And the month before. And it'd bet that it will be the same in October too.

So yes tubes run with 'electricary', but 'electricary' comes from power stations, which are fuelled by (but not exclusively) oil. However, I have not seen any warnings from train companies about the rising price of oil, unlike airlines or petrol stations companies. Maybe because it affects them less.
            Chico, what time is it?

Comment

100gbp for a monthly ticket, costs a third of that here in Germany.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                Plus, of course, it's ding-ding jackpot for Gordon Brown. All that lovely tax on tax flooding in with the increase in fuel prices. It's only fair you know.
                Now that's really pissing me off -- the prices are at all times high, and he gets extra VAT revenues from every penny increase in costs, FFS, should have been law that would limit amount of tax (duty+VAT) from fuel to certain annual ammount, and as soon as it appears that this figure will be over shot then duty should be dropped.

And you know what REALLY pissed me off? This talk about how well UK is insulated from raising oil prices, because tax is majority of the price they were saying they did UK a favour as price raises are not as sharp as in the USA, fecks sake, I'd rather get petrol most of time for USA price with occasional spikes to current USA levels which are still a lot smaller than UK prices FFS!

FFS -- I am already pissed off and I need to refuel in a few days FFS!

Comment

Count youself lucky. I'm using about 70ltrs of diesel each and every week.

That is about £3k in diesel, of which 70-80% goes to the fat controller.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
                    Count youself lucky. I'm using about 70ltrs of diesel each and every week.
                    If you drive on motorways then try driving 55-60 mph, behind lorries, some of which will overtake you. I did a few weeks of this and achieved 700 miles per tank of PUG 307 diesel, vs 550-600 miles of more active driving. Note I was using BP Ultimate Diesel which helped get 50 miles extra.

Comment

55 mph. I'd rather walk!

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X