• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ifyoulikeitsomuchwhydontyougolivethere?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ifyoulikeitsomuchwhydontyougolivethere?

You might not think I am being serious. But if I was Head of Democratic Services at Tower Hamlets Council in East London, I would be. Last week e-mailed each of the borough's 51 councillors with a similar instruction.

For the duration of Ramadan, the Muslim holy month, they are, he told them - every one of them, Muslim, Catholic, Jew or atheist - to behave during council meetings as strict Muslims. They are not to eat or drink; they are to break for Muslim prayers; they are to do as they are ordered by the Muslim religion.

<cut from the Sunday Times>

Classic.
    Political Correctness Gone Mad.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 13 April 2021, 16:04.
    Bored.

Originally posted by ace00 View Post
    You might not think I am being serious. But if I was Head of Democratic Services at Tower Hamlets Council in East London, I would be. Last week John Williams e-mailed each of the borough's 51 councillors with a similar instruction.

For the duration of Ramadan, the Muslim holy month, they are, he told them - every one of them, Muslim, Catholic, Jew or atheist - to behave during council meetings as strict Muslims. They are not to eat or drink; they are to break for Muslim prayers; they are to do as they are ordered by the Muslim religion.

Classic.
    And why are Christians and Hindus excluded?
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

You might not think I am being serious. But if I was Head of Democratic Services at Tower Hamlets Council in East London, I would be. Last week John Williams e-mailed each of the borough's 51 councillors with a similar instruction.

Classic.
        Is there a link?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Is there a link?
          http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle4647386.ece
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

It was a cock-up by the Council and they simply meant "Don't scoff the Muslims' meal packs"; not "don't eat or drink from sunrise to sunset".

So, rustling crisp packets, snapping Kit-Kats, wafting gourmet odours from your lunch time take-away in the direction of your colleagues, etc. is still a great British tradition, even in Tower Hamlets.

Comment

I would love to see the official response from the council. If there is none that would speak volumes.

At the last census I put myself down as a Jedi. I shall request everyone to carry their light sabre at all times.

Comment

Classic.
                it's our fault- we vote them in and put up with them

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I would love to see the official response from the council. If there is none that would speak volumes.
                  Radio 4 friday afternoon... basically the whole fiasco was simply the council asking for non-muslim councilors to be sensative to the fact that their muslim colleagues might be feckin starvin, especially during late meetings.

The council also recommended that the number of snacks available in each meeting be reduced by the number of muslim attendees during the period of ramadam.

Whole thing was badly worded and badly reported
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Bloody Muslims.....
                    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Working...
                    X