• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3rd week on the bench...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd week on the bench...

and just wrote a obscene 5 figured sum for CorpTax
    Vat quater due

If this keeps up I'll be sunk in about a year or so...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

5th week on the bench and counting
    Looks like clients are holding back on any hiring

Comment

Good luck guys. I think the market is patchy rather than horribly dead.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Good luck, what sector? Defence seems ok
        Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
        "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
        Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Defence, commercial, not much else.

Plenty of defence gigs out there but I've been fogging them off cause of the on-site requirement. plus rates after working out on Norway feel like peanuts...

One interesting thing in the search has come up. Work in the south west (Hampshire and the like) at say 500p/d and I'll spend 10% PCM of that on digs. In Europe I can match the same standard of living for 5%.

I found same if not better rates in Europe mainland too. When you're looking you really do start to realise how expensive this country has become compared to the rest of Europe. We're gonna scare everyone away at this rate...
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Defence, commercial, not much else.

Plenty of defence gigs out there but I've been fogging them off cause of the on-site requirement. plus rates after working out on Norway feel like peanuts...

One interesting thing in the search has come up. Work in the south west (Hampshire and the like) at say 500p/d and I'll spend 10% PCM of that on digs. In Europe I can match the same standard of living for 5%.

I found same if not better rates in Europe mainland too. When you're looking you really do start to realise how expensive this country has become compared to the rest of Europe. We're gonna scare everyone away at this rate...
            500pd? You must be a PM or do something unusual, I'm in the South and 300 - 350 seems average...
            Eeyore was very glad to be able to stop thinking for a little, in order to say "How do you do" in a gloomy manner to Pooh.
            "And how are you?" said Winnie-the-Pooh.
            Eeyore shook his head from side to side. "Not very how," he said. "I don't seem to felt at all how for a long time."

Comment

Originally posted by kali View Post
              500pd? You must be a PM or do something unusual, I'm in the South and 300 - 350 seems average...
              Huv not been on 300-350 since I was yae high,,, 03/04 maybe.

I work in Mathematic modelling, reliability, that sort of thing. And as long as no one else does I'll be alright.

Comment

Phew!!!! Been on the bench since the end of Feb. In my darkest moods I've been searching out the closest Beachy Head to where I live. But, just in time, I land a 6 month local role starting Monday. Boomed!
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
                  Phew!!!! Been on the bench since the end of Feb. In my darkest moods I've been searching out the closest Beachy Head to where I live. But, just in time, I land a 6 month local role starting Monday. Boomed!
                  So you'll be bored and suicidal by.. Wednesday?
                  Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

All this talk of work is making me tired. I'm off to the spa to think about safe methods of hydrogen storage. Spent the last couple of weeks in my time off thinking about artificial photosynthesis - I know how to party.

Comment

Working...
                    X