• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Declaring interest earned on savings on tax return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Declaring interest earned on savings on tax return

Does anyone actually do this?

I know a few people with sizeable wads of money in the bank who are higher rate tax payers and they never declare the interest earned and nothing ever seems to come of it. Does the tax man know or care?

I do.

Or rather, I did. Now I get the interest gross, because I'm non-dom.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

How did you get the non-dom status? Were you or your father born outside of the UK and are all the savings held offshore?

Comment

I declare it ( or the bits I haven't lost the paperwork to ). It would be dead easy to catch people as it's all against your NI No but our useless lot !?! In Oz I left a few dollars off, got an automated letter a few weeks later, pay up or else, I did.

Comment

I delcare about two pounds a year on my personal savings. No problems so far from Mr tax man...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Always. The UK banks take away tax anyway, so HMRC must have got some clues already about names of people who had tax taken off the interest they earned.

Comment

Has anyone ever been "investigated" on a personal level into the details of a tax return?

Comment

I started putting it down when I got my first self assessment form as a permie.

I kinda wish I hadn't bothered now though. They know I have a decent amount of savings now
                Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

How did you get the non-dom status?
                  I emigrated. I'm non-domiciled, non-resident, non-ordinarily resident. And I don't visit the UK very often or for very long.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    I emigrated. I'm non-domiciled, non-resident, non-ordinarily resident. And I don't visit the UK very often or for very long.
                    Your domicile is generally where you were born (or where your father was born), regardless of where you live now and for how long.

A lot of people confuse domicile with residency.

Comment

Working...
                    X