• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Declaring interest earned on savings on tax return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You only need that form if you are resident (ordinarily resident) in the UK and claiming non-domicility in order to reduce your tax bill.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Afganistan. He is Bin Laden folks...
      It was the beard that gave me away, wasn't it.

I'm in Switzerland. Which means I'm not affected quite as much by EU legislation either.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Does anyone actually do this?

I know a few people with sizeable wads of money in the bank who are higher rate tax payers and they never declare the interest earned and nothing ever seems to come of it. Does the tax man know or care?
        I didn't declare them one year and they sent me a letter.

"we note you declared no savings income, please clarify if this is true"

me: "nothing to declare"

Them "are you sure only we have records of..."

needless to say they got their extra pound of flesh
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I believe that the IR are refusing requests for a domicile of choice. Anyone tried that recently?
          They used to say that the short (non-legalistic) explanation of domicile is that it is where you intend ultimately to live on a permanent basis. Avoiding the obvious arguments, if there is indeed such a place then that definition makes sense.

If they were to refuse to accept that it can change, it is really a form of nationality. But I don't think you request a domicile, there simply is one (and only one); the only question that could arise is of establishing what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

Of course they did.

Even if you claim exemption to have your interest paid gross, any UK bank or building society is compelled to send details of any interest you earned to HMRC. Just like they send you a statement of same for tax purposes.

Even if you get your interest paid gross, you must still declare it on your tax return - no exceptions.

Not doing so just makes you look 'dodgy' in HMRC's eyes and worthy of further investigation - if only they had the manpower to do so.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Crikey, they're on the ball chasing for a few quid then.

I'm tempted to stay under the 40% tax bracket this year so they can't have anything extra out of me.
              Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post

Crikey, they're on the ball chasing for a few quid then.

I'm tempted to stay under the 40% tax bracket this year so they can't have anything extra out of me.

As Bogey says they already have your details, I just assumed they hardly ever did any cross referencing, more fool me. IIRC they had several hundred quid out of me including interest. That's why I put my money into premium bonds the next year.
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

As Bogey says they already have your details, I just assumed they hardly ever did any cross referencing, more fool me. IIRC they had several hundred quid out of me including interest. That's why I put my money into premium bonds the next year.
                  It's thanks to those massively expensive, barely-working, IT systems they've spent years implementing.

They need to chase every penny to pay for them.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I believe that the IR are refusing requests for a domicile of choice. Anyone tried that recently?
                    There's a good reason for that.

To have a domicile of choice you have to have very very strong ties with the country that you are nominating.

However, ISTM that unless a person is currently resident in the UK they would have no need to ask the IR for a changed domicile to save tax because they could save the tax an easier way.

But if a UK domiciled person is currently resident in the UK they will have great difficulty showing the reason why they think they should be domicilied elsewhere.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      I emigrated. I'm non-domiciled, non-resident, non-ordinarily resident. And I don't visit the UK very often or for very long.
                      Hmme, then that means all expats are non-doms, right. I trust you cleared this with hmrc

Comment

Working...
                      X