• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know what mains gas costs per cubic metre ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know what mains gas costs per cubic metre ?

trying to estimate what the gas bill is going to be

ta

Milan.

tried uswitch? I use them 1st FEb each year...

Comment

http://www.uswitch.com/

Comment

Brillo,

thank you for the prompt feedback, very useful, but really I am just looking for some kind of general indication of what domestic mains gas costs the domestic punter per cubic metre

eg, somebody might reply domestic mains gas costs the domestic punter 60p a cubic metre

that's what I am looking for,

Thanks,

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          Brillo,

thank you for the prompt feedback, very useful, but really I am just looking for some kind of general indication of what domestic mains gas costs the domestic punter per cubic metre

eg, somebody might reply domestic mains gas costs the domestic punter 6-p a cubic metre

that's what I am looking for,

Thanks,

Milan.
          I wish it were that simple! There are tariffs on that site - but ach has different thresholds, dual fuel discounts(cheaper if electric included), direct debit discounts etcetc.

You really should put in your usage then you will get a quote.

How much Gas are you looking to use a year? With/without electric? If so, how much leccy? Paying by direct debit.

Comment

I'm not in the UK,

just trying to get an idea of what my gas bill is going to be having read the meter at the start of december and today

anyway, if I cannot find anything in europe or uk giving an idea of the cost of gas per cubic metre I'll call the supplier in the morning

thanks,

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              I'm not in the UK,

just trying to get an idea of what my gas bill is going to be having read the meter at the start of december and today
              which country? That is the country for the meter you have read?

Comment

My gas meter shows ‘gas units’ to be meters cubed, i.e. 1 gas unit = 1 m^3, but there is a small and mysterious volume conversion factor of 1.02264 to correct this as shown on the back of the bill.

Basically for current prices where I am, standard pressure, temperature and energy content of the gas, etc, they provide a conversion formula from ‘gas units’ to kilowatts hours thus:

Kilowatt hours = gas units * 1.02264 * 39.3156 / 3.6

The 1.02264 is the volume conversion factor and the other stuff is because they are converting via calories instead of directly from Joules (maybe they haven’t quite got used to metric or they think fat people will try to eat the gas).

So on my bill for example I had used 3 units last quarter (I’m a miser) and my gas bill of £1.43 was calculated as follows:

3 units * 1.02264 * 39.3156 / 3.6 = 33.50 KWh and at 4.266 pence per KWh = 142.9 pence.

So 1 unit (approx 1 m^3 or 11.17 KWh) costs 47.65 pence
                Or 1 KWh (1/11 of a unit or ~90 litres of gas) costs 4.266 pence.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  my gas bill of £1.43
                  I am impressed - I pay about £80 per month.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    My gas meter shows ‘gas units’ to be meters cubed, i.e. 1 gas unit = 1 m^3,
                    cubic metres

Sorry to be pedantic, but both of these errors bug me.

a) 2 metres cubed is 8 cubic metres.

b) A meter is a measuring device, except in that big country that doesn't acknowledge metric where they insist on spelling everything wrongly.
                    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                    X