• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recession on the horizon?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously if there is a major correction, beside shorting, "Cash is king" but we need to avoid double taxation which leaves Cash ISAs (no good for shifting significant amounts into) or NS&I inflation-linked 3 yr bonds.

Anyone shifting their existing equity ISAs into bond funds?
    So far I've spotted New Star's Extra High Yield Bond fund is one of the better performers but still looks like you'd lose money in a full on crash according to the longer term graphs. Just not as much as equities.
    These bond funds seem to be a waste of time held outside an ISA as you get taxed on the interest (if 60%+ of fund holdings are bonds) so you may as well hold cash.
    Government bond funds offer crummy returns but will protect you better.

As for equity funds Invesco Perpetual High Income is a good defensive equity fund, but could still take a hammering if things go really tits up.
    Last edited by GreenerGrass; 6 June 2007, 07:48.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn
      That is my kind of thinking especially with the interest rate rises.

I am reasonably lucky as got a 2yr fixed rate mortgage agreed in May last year but my move took 7 months. Luckliy the lender still honoured my agreement. However wouldn't want my mortgage amount with the rates today!
      So WTF will you do this time next xmas when you wake up to the lenders SVR of around 8.5% ? ?

Comment

[QUOTE=GreenerGrass]Obviously if there is a major correction, beside shorting, "Cash is king" but we need to avoid double taxation which leaves Cash ISAs (no good for shifting significant amounts into) or NS&I inflation-linked 3 yr bonds.

Anyone shifting their existing equity ISAs into bond funds? ........
        QUOTE]

Sounds like what I'm doing. I closed China/India/Asian ISA funds last week, but even though the Chinese markets crashed, the fund price has gone up! Anyway I also closed some higher risk UK funds and put the whole lot into lower risk income bonds (mostly government). Bond price has since fallen. However, I'm hoping for the crash and so bonds will protect me better.

On my trading account I was short on the market quite heavily the past 3 months but got wiped out by the sudden inexplicable surge in global markets.

Comment

Well, yes we're due for a correction, but there is a difference between a correction and a bear market, like 2001-2003. The correction last year was also severe, if anyone noticed. Many stocks in selective areas halved in value last year, and are still way down on 2005 valuations especially in Asia and Latin America. I wouldn't touch European stocks though.

I must admit I have some stocks that have rocketed recently so they're probably due for a correction
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by pickle
            So WTF will you do this time next xmas when you wake up to the lenders SVR of around 8.5% ? ?
            That is why I am not re-investing in another property but reducing my current mortgage debt!

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN
              On my trading account I was short on the market quite heavily the past 3 months but got wiped out by the sudden inexplicable surge in global markets.
              Trade what you see, not what you think will/want to happen...

Comment

Working...
              X