• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who the feck is paying for this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    Don't be so moody!
    I'm a ginger woman!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Women - they spoil everything. Silly, emotional creatures.

You just keep chatting with SAS then - I'll go and have a word with myself about when it's ok for me to talk.
    Don't be so moody!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw
    What a miserable feckin attitude in life to go through life with. Some kid, born in Britain, get's rescued from a forced marriage and rape overseas, and you're quibbling over the cost.

What a wonderful example of human compassion.
    "It's something that should not be happening in the modern world - it's not a respected cultural or religious tradition."

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Now that was the kind of reply I was looking for.

Lucid, clear and non-emotive.

Thanks.
    Women - they spoil everything. Silly, emotional creatures.

You just keep chatting with SAS then - I'll go and have a word with myself about when it's ok for me to talk.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    What a miserable feckin attitude in life to go through life with. Some kid, born in Britain, get's rescued from a forced marriage and rape overseas, and you're quibbling over the cost.

What a wonderful example of human compassion.

Leave a comment:

• pisces
    replied
    It's a horrible story and just goes to show how far behind some 'cultures' are in their advancement

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    The US has a large population of immigration from the sub-continent but no similar problems. This is because the immigrants allowed in were educated wealth creators in the first place.
    Here by contrast the need in the 50s and 60s for unskilled labour in factories led to large numbers of poorly educated rural people to arrive, particularly in the North. It is in these populations that the problem occurs.
    However once the decision has been made to allow this then we have to look after their British born children. It is likely that the problem will only last one generation anyway.
    In Muslim communities though, it may be considerably longer.
    Now that was the kind of reply I was looking for.

Lucid, clear and non-emotive.

Thanks.

However, there have been a number of generations born since the initial influx of immigrants who first came to work in the mills and factories.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Don't put words in my mouth.

Why don't we educate people? Why don't we tell people that when they come to live in this country that we don't accept that "forced marriage" is an acceptable way of life?

Shut the stable door before the horse bolts!
    Forced marriages effect people who've lived here all their lives, who are as British as you or me - not just fresh faced immigrants. It's just something which has often gone on behind the scenes for years.

The government have only really became aware of it fairly recently for various reasons, mainly due to (like rape) not many people reporting it in the past or not feeling they'd get any support...plus obviously until support schemes are put in place, people aren't going to want to be ostrocised ( ) from their family. Where would they go?

More and more cases are being reported every year now, and thankfully progress is being made.

And it's still not even against the fecking law in this country, so as far as educating people go, I think we need to start there really.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    The US has a large population of immigration from the sub-continent but no similar problems. This is because the immigrants allowed in were educated wealth creators in the first place.
    Here by contrast the need in the 50s and 60s for unskilled labour in factories led to large numbers of poorly educated rural people to arrive, particularly in the North. It is in these populations that the problem occurs.
    However once the decision has been made to allow this then we have to look after their British born children. It is likely that the problem will only last one generation anyway.
    In Muslim communities though, it may be considerably longer.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Because we have a high population of people in this country who are effected by forced marriages.

If your main problem is that we have those funny looking foreigners daring to live in this country in the first place, then at least have the balls to be honest and just say that.

Yes, forced marriages wont effect you personally. Or me personally for that matter. But it's an issue which effects a large % of the ethnic population who live here. So what's the problem? Or are they not as deserving to the police's help as you?
    Don't put words in my mouth.

Why don't we educate people? Why don't we tell people that when they come to live in this country that we don't accept that "forced marriage" is an acceptable way of life?

Shut the stable door before the horse bolts!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X