• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who the feck is paying for this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw
    She was born here and lived here 6 years, she's a citizen! She would be a citizen if she was only born here and left.

We rescued her as the article quite clearly states, the details of how aren't stated so we've no idea. I'm still waiting to hear your answer on how you propose to prosecute the citizen of another country, living in that country for an offence commited in that country.

As for your last call - learn to read. I've stated the facts on every post, and if I'm emotive well excuse me, most people when discussing the plight of a young child, find it an emotive subject.
    Bollox. You're just like the rest of the worlds emotive hand wringers. Subject to knee jerk reactiona and manipulation by the press.

Under the law in effect from 1 January 1983, a child born in the UK to a parent who is a British citizen or 'settled' in the UK is automatically a British citizen by birth
    How do you know that her parents were settled in the UK? Her invalid mother was in Bangladesh!

You're a sheep snaw, it's about time you admitted it.
    Last edited by Churchill; 9 May 2007, 09:58.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    4:56?

Did you wet the bed again?
    I was in the office at 04:10 - We've set up a new production line in china and I was here to cover support so that the rest of my team could get a good nights sleep.

Dedication above and beyond...

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    Surely that's the USA you're thinking of there? Being born on British soil does not confer British citizenship.
    As far as I know, and based on the fact the girl was brought back I think you're British if you're born here.

Actually just found this:

Under the law in effect from 1 January 1983, a child born in the UK to a parent who is a British citizen or 'settled' in the UK is automatically a British citizen by birth

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    She was born here and lived here 6 years, she's a citizen! She would be a citizen if she was only born here and left.
    Surely that's the USA you're thinking of there? Being born on British soil does not confer British citizenship.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    Ok, here we go again.

We pay to rescue "someone born in the UK" - no mention of being a UK citizen. This person was subject to something that is illegal in the UK but not in the country that the person was currently in. So, have we "rescued" a british citizen or kidnapped a foreign national?

If we've "rescued" a british citizen then why aren't we extraditing someone for the "crimes" committed against the girl?

4:56?

Did you wet the bed again?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Are you going through the menopause?

We either rescued her or kidnapped her, which one?

There is no mention that she is a "British Citizen"!

Before you start with all this emotive crap look at the facts.

We rescued her as the article quite clearly states, the details of how aren't stated so we've no idea. I'm still waiting to hear your answer on how you propose to prosecute the citizen of another country, living in that country for an offence commited in that country.

As for your last call - learn to read. I've stated the facts on every post, and if I'm emotive well excuse me, most people when discussing the plight of a young child, find it an emotive subject.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Did you even read your own article? It states quite clearly she was taken to Bangladesh at the age of six. I'd say that makes her a British citizen by pretty much any definition you care to mention.

And as I said, if this is legal in Bangladesh then I think the attitude most human beings with heart would adopt would be one of thanks that we got her, not one of hrumph, who's paying for this and why's it our job, you miserable old git.

Scrooge had nothing on you.
    Are you going through the menopause?

We either rescued her or kidnapped her, which one?
    the girl, who was born in Britain, was taken to Bangladesh at the age of six to care for her disabled mother.
    There is no mention that she is a "British Citizen"!

Before you start with all this emotive crap look at the facts.
    Last edited by Churchill; 9 May 2007, 06:49.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    Ask the Yanks, they've had some UK lawyers and bankers extradited, something about Enron, as terrorists...
    I know, I know one of them.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Ok, here we go again.

We pay to rescue "someone born in the UK" - no mention of being a UK citizen. This person was subject to something that is illegal in the UK but not in the country that the person was currently in. So, have we "rescued" a british citizen or kidnapped a foreign national?

If we've "rescued" a british citizen then why aren't we extraditing someone for the "crimes" committed against the girl?
    Did you even read your own article? It states quite clearly she was taken to Bangladesh at the age of six. I'd say that makes her a British citizen by pretty much any definition you care to mention.

And as I said, if this is legal in Bangladesh then I think the attitude most human beings with heart would adopt would be one of thanks that we got her, not one of hrumph, who's paying for this and why's it our job, you miserable old git.

Scrooge had nothing on you.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    I'm curious as to how you propose to enforce arresting a citizen of another country, in that country, where presumably this isn't illegal.

Personally getting her back sounds like a result, and I'd be all for prosecting, but I suspect that's a whole different can of worms.

Sorry my neuron wasn't up to simple job of making the connection from you asking who's paying for it, and why is it our job to the blatantly logical step of stating why don't we prosecute. I bow to you your superior debating skills and insightful reasoning on this one.

/amateur.
    Ok, here we go again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X